Ballet Talk for Dancers

rolfing

macleb

Hi...

I was wondering if I should get rolfing done on my hips/ groin area, because whenever I do anything that revloves lifting of the leg, I hear a pop or a grinding noise and my hips feel sore. Also, if I do get rolfing will it help me relax my hips so I can get a higher develope? My dance teacher says that I need to relax my hip flexors to allow me to get higher extention, but I don't really understand how to release them.

thanks for all of your help

Macleb

• Administrators

It sounds to me like you need a physical therapist or a Pilates instructor, preferably with a knowledge of ballet. Rolfing is more about the muscles, I think. You need to learn how to stretch and to release your hip flexors, and I don't think rolfing is the answer for that.

Where can you find people to work on your hips? (perferably in Maine, that's where I live)

Are there any combinations to help loosen them?

thank you

Macleb

• Administrators

Talk to your school director about a Pilates instructor. Hopefully, he/she will know someone with ballet experience. There are lots of exercises, but I do not want them described here. You must learn them from an instructor so that YOU have the understanding of exactly what you are doing.

I'm sorry if I sound really silly asking this, it's just a term that I am not farmiliar with :)

What is rolfing?

well dance4life56, I had never heard of rolfing until earlier this year. Rolfing is a deep, deep massage that helps with realignment of the body, it helps with tight ligaments and muscles and tendintious. I can't really explain it very well, but I know that it hurts!

Macleb

• Administrators

macleb, there is no need to quote the last post in your post. Please go down to the Reply or Fast Reply button, instead of the "Reply. Thank you :)

Wow, it sounds pretty intense!

I assume that is a procedure then that you would only use under severe circumstances.

:)

• Administrators

It's okay, lots of newbies do that. :)

Rule very near #1 about therapy: Do not prescribe yourself a therapy for a problem for which you have no diagnosis from a physician, preferably an orthopedist. Noises combined with pain are always prima facie reason to see such a doctor.

I did rolfing for a few months, and I did not find mine painful. However, it did not do anything to benefit me, but that is just my body. I only went because one of my doctors told me to try it out.

I had rolfing for a while because I had scoliosis and it was something that we had read could help for that. I found that while I was having rolfing it really did help me in my ballet. I stood up much straighter and my alignment was much better. I even remember one day after he worked on my hip flexors I thought my turnout was better (I dont know if it was my imagination or not). It did hurt alot though :) but I thought it was definetlely worth it.