Ballet Talk for Dancers
blaise

Dancers' Preferred Pointe Shoes

Roxie__

Lol, I always do that. It's funny how obvious the Gaynors are. And I find Russian Pointes to be pretty easily recognizable because theyre almost white, and the just have this look to them... I can tell. The Freeds have the stitching. Freeds, Gaynors, and RPs are the few that I can easily recognise, but its still fun trying to guess.

On a side note, I don't like the look of Gaynors. The only dancer I have seen that they truly look good on is Gillian Murphy. They just look so funny on everyone.

DancingDoodles

In the article about Julie Kent in pointe magazine, I believe she is wearing bloch custom shoes. I can tell because I am another resident of dork planet and am constantly looking at shoes too! I am also obsessed with Julie Kent, so I love to know what shoes she is wearing!

Clara 76

Unless something has changed recently, she was in Freed. :thumbsup:

LilBalletDancer1993
Lol, I always do that. It's funny how obvious the Gaynors are. And I find Russian Pointes to be pretty easily recognizable because theyre almost white, and the just have this look to them... I can tell. The Freeds have the stitching. Freeds, Gaynors, and RPs are the few that I can easily recognise, but its still fun trying to guess.

On a side note, I don't like the look of Gaynors. The only dancer I have seen that they truly look good on is Gillian Murphy. They just look so funny on everyone.

Im not sure they look funny on everyone else, they're just a different type of shoe that people aren't used to yet... Alina Cojocaru looks nice in them.....

spingirl

I went to the ballet again last week and bought another pair of shoes that had belonged to a different pricipal dancer. These are Bloch customs, but they look very similar in profile & box shape to Serenades. They're incredibly tiny!! She 3/4 shanks them, then cuts a strip about 1/8" wide out of the sole right were the shoes bend. It looks like the insides of the boxes are shellacked, as are the soles below the cut-out strip. And they have elastic drawstrings, which I wish my Blochs had.

She was the main dancer in the ballet I saw, and she was just gorgeous!! She is tiny but strong, and her feet were perfect. I could give her name, but I don't want to do something inappropriate on this board.

I'll try for another pair when I go again in May. This is fun!

Lisa

Avery

i know SFB uses Freed's because when i went to the April 2007 performance of DQ, i bought a pair of signed shoes, and were glancing through the piles of shoes, and they were all Freeds.

Clara 76

I want to dispel an urban ballet myth here:

I have found out from the proverbial horses' mouth, that there is no such thing as an exclusive contract with Freed for a ballet company!!!

What simply happens is that dancers will choose what shoes they prefer, and most of the time, that ends up being Freed custom shoes.

Now, that being said, some ballet companies might require their dancers to be in Freed, or another brand, but that is the ballet company's decision; not Freed, and there is no exclusivity there.

ADs tend to prefer Freed because they are usually beautiful on the feet, and they are quiet.

As far as Alina Cojacaru: I don't prefer Gaynor's on her at all.....they are horribly distracting for me on her feet. However, if they allow her to dance years longer because of her bunion issues, then I will tolerate them. I'd rather see that then see her have to retire because her feet were troubling her! :P

ami1436

And Alina actually switches back and forth between Gaynors and her customised Blochs. (She's said so in educational events I've attended at the ROH).

lil' prima

I am also guilty of looking at dance pics and knowing what shoes they're wearing. :):D

I believe Gaynor mindens look so "funny" because their drawstring casing is made of satin instead of canvas, and on the bottom of the shoe the shank is just suede laid over the satin instead of a thicker leather outer shank. (I use gaynors) :yes:

ballerinerose
I think that she wears Freed Classiscs.

nope julie kent definately wears customized blochs

i bought a pair of her shoes last summer at a romeo and juliet performance

Edited by njbdancer011

Clara 76

She may switch back and forth- some dancers do!

celticdancer

New query - there is a ballerina from the Paris Opera Ballet modelling loads of the leotards in this year's Dance Direct catologue and whatever pointes she is wearing look amazing on her feet - does anyone else get this catalogue and know what they are? I am also obsessed with other dancer's pointe shoes....

:grinning:

Clara 76

I've always wondered if POB had all their dancers' shoes specially made, like Bolshoi did/does or if their dancers all wear different things.

ami1436

I just got the catalogue yesterday, and stared at her feet. To me, those shoes are the Bloch Alpha, no questions.

http://www.blochworld.com/shop/p-159-alpha.aspx

Clara_76, unfortunately the website pictures have mostly been cropped, but you can see some here, including the distinctive outsole - and I think the colouring and shoe shape is also indicative of the Alpha.

http://www.dancedirect.com/uk/Products/Bal...supplex-e10572/

http://www.dancedirect.com/uk/Products/Bal...irt-balletwear/

The dancer is a 19 year old corps member of POB.

:o The hard copy of the catalogue is much nicer than it has been in the past, although I do think it would be good to have size charts by brand. I don't know why there are all these super-hippy poses for ballet leos though! And, does this mean they are changing models every year? (with the exception of the few they always use - so featured models?). There were some nice photos of Alina Cojocaru last year, and it seems a pity to have dumped all those photos. I understand there are probably contractual reasons, etc... but still....

Clara 76

Yep. Those are Bloch Alphas! Thank you ami! Interesting to see what POB corps might be wearing...