Ballet Talk for Dancers

Two ?s - port de bras and winter break

Hjete

I may have seen posts on both of these questions before (sorry if so), but I can't remember where they were or what the answers were...so...for port de bras back, are you supposed to inhale one way and exhale the other (like one of them as you are going back and the other coming up)? I think I sort of hold my breath when I do them, so I just end up turning red! eek.gif Any suggestions would be appreciated. My other question is what is best to do over winter break so my body won't go through shock when I get back to ballet in two weeks! wink.gif I wish I just had one week off (or none at all would be even better!), but two weeks it is, so I don't want to lose a whole lot of the newly gained strength and things I just learned. This is especially important because I am moving up a level in a one of my classes in the new year. Is stretching a lot the best while on break? Should I give myself a simple barre now and then? What do you suggest? Thanks a lot. biggrin.gif

Right before you go back for the por de bra, lift up and take a big breath in through your nose. When you are then going into the por de bra position,exhale through your mouth all the way to the end. And remember, when you do por de bras back, turn your head to the side. Don't let your chin point to the ceiling because you can cut off your breathing. Happy dancing!

• Administrators

First of all, port de bras means carriage of the arms, and is not a position. Bending back is generally called cambre in most schools, and if it's not, it should be! smile.gif

Secondly, while turning the head when bending back is fine, it is also fine to not turn it. There are times in choreography where one must bend straight back, with no turn of the head, therefore, it should be learned in class as well.

Thirdly, AMANDA, advice and answers to technical questions are given by the moderators on this board. We do not feel it is appropriate for students to give technical advice, which is one of the reasons that this is a moderated board and not a chat room. Your breathing answer is correct in that the exhalation should happen on the bending back, but please refrain from answering these questions in the future.

By the way, you posted that answer three times, so please only hit the Add Reply button ONCE! Thank you smile.gif

• Administrators

Sorry, Hjete, I forgot to answer your question about winter break. Stretching regularly is good, and I would definitely do some basic barre work, at least through the second week. smile.gif

Oops! eek.gif Of course you are right, Ms. Leigh. I meant cambré, not port de bras. My current school does use the right term, but I think my old school called the movement port de bras...one reason of many to change schools! wink.gif Do you inhale to come back up from the cambré? I suppose that is the only thing to do if you exhale back. Thanks for the winter break answer, too. I'll try to fit in a few barres before I get back to class....and of course, I'll keep stretching! Thanks again for keeping us in line! wink.gif

Yes, by all means, keep breathing! For every expiration, there should be an inspiration to match! wink.gif