Ballet Talk for Dancers

good feet for ballet

Guest Lucy

I'm sure i've read something recently about Gretchen Ward Warren's Classical Ballet Technique but I can't find it so i'll ask anyway. Apologies if this has already been asked.

I got it as a Christmas present, it's a great book. RAD has quite a lot of differences to whatever technique is described in the book (is it Soviet? There are a lot of references to it)

I have been looking at the pictures of the types pf feet (p70 in my copy, last page of chapter 2) and I can't work out the difference between the "good foot" and the "acceptable foot". There doesn't seem to be any difference in the arch or instep, just that the acceptable foot looks "lumpier" than the good foot, like it is being pointed harder. Is that what the picture is meant to show? The acceptable one looks stronger to me. Since I am doing pointework now I want to know which type of foot I have. Maybe I should just be grateful I don't have the "unacceptable" foot smile.gif

• Administrators

Look again, Lolly! There is considerable difference between those two feet. Just look at the overall line, the lift in the arch, and the curve of the top of the foot which makes a really lovely line of the whole leg. While the other one is "acceptable", it does not create the same line at all. Look at the whole photo, not just the foot, and you will see the difference.

Thank you Miss Leigh, I can see it now. The good foot looks like it is part of the leg, but the acceptable one looks a bit like it's just kind of there on the end of the leg... Also the good one looks stretched and long but the acceptable one just looks like it's bent over rather than stretched into the point.

Thanks again, sometimes I just need to be told! smile.gif

Hi, Rachel, and welcome to the Young Dancers' Forums on Ballet Talk here at Ballet Alert! Online!

I see from your other post that you're a beginner, and in fact have yet to take your first class. Relax, you'll find out what your feet can and can't do in class. That's why we take class anyway, because ballet is not something that the body can do all by itself naturally.