Ballet Talk for Dancers

Turnout

Guest pinkpixiedust

Guest sparklez109

I came from CPYB this summer, and they told me that inorder to use your turnout, you have to use your backside and it needed to be (finding it difficult to find the right words) sort of almost forward, especially in arabesque (when I say backside I mean the pelvis too). Well that helped me hold my turnout (I have very flexible hips, so it was more of holding it then needing to make it more flexible) but it seems I started tucking under and that isn't good. So I would like to ask what the correct way of holding turnout is. Also, I have hyper-extended knees, and I can't straighten my knees completely in fifth position and its better on one side than the other. Does this have anything to do with hyperextended knees?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• Mel Johnson

• JennyKaye

• Ballet Bunnie

• Administrators

Using the muscles at the top of the thighs and the gluteus maximus is NOT the same thing as tucking under. One must use the muscles to rotate, but it is absolutely not necessary to tilt the pelvis back and cause tucking. Your teacher will have to help you to find this alignment, if you do not understand it.

As to the bent knees in 5th, that will happen if you are hyperextended. Leave a space, as small as possible, between the heel of the front foot and the toe of the back foot. I would assume that you also have a space between your heels in 1st postion. Do not push the knees back and give in to the hyperextension, and don't use a big enough space that this will happen. Only enough to straighten the knees without hyperextending them.

Guest sparklez109

I think I will do that, cuz one of my teachers at CPYB told me that if your backside didn't have a dent in it and if it wasn't hard then you weren't doing it right. So I guess I found the wrong way to do it, but at least I caught it and have made a point of not doing it anymore. But I'll talk to my teacher to clarify exactly what I should be doing, thanks for your help :)

• Administrators

Kathryn, when you are using those muscles correctly, they will be "hard", but that still does not mean tucked.

Guest sparklez109

I talked to my main teacher today at rehearsal and she told me that I wasn't tucking and I was using my turnout correctly. Now I'm really confused because another one of my teachers told me that I was tucking. Or maybe I've just corrected it since then, its been 3 weeks or so since I've seen her and I've been trying to make sure not to do it. I'll have another talk with her if possible.

I just relized, I've been posting in the wrong forum, I've been gone a while and didn't relize you had forums for two different age groups of young dancers, sry about that.

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: sparklez109 ]

This is sort of a corollary to Murphy's Law, Kathryn: When you want something to go wrong, it won't! ;) Keep the lines of communication with your teacher open, and try to talk to her on a regular basis.

While it does no harm to have this thread in either YD Forum, I can transfer it to the other if you'd like?

• 2 months later...
Guest Marilia Tsoukia

Hello!!!! I am a 17-year-old ballet dancer. I have a problem though.I am not so well turned out!!! Can anybody help me by telling me which exercises can help me improve my en-dehors? I would really appreciate it!!! Thank you so much!!!

• Administrators

Hello Marilia, welcome to Ballet Alert Online!

Your question is one we can best handle in the Special Groups section, so I am moving it down to Young Dancers 16-22.

• 1 month later...
Guest pinkpixiedust

My teacher is always on at us about maintaing our turn-out, are there any exercises I can do help improve my turn-out? Also do u know of any good stretching exercises especially for 'straddle' splits?

Hi, pinkpixiedust, and welcome to the Young Dancers' Forum at Ballet Talk here at Ballet Alert! Online!

We have a lot of turnout stretches and exercises already archived in our archives section. You may want to run your preferences for showing posts out to "show all posts", and check the active board for things that are still active here. In order to access archives, all you have to do is either select it on the opening page, instead of general discussion or special boards. The only drawback, potentially, is that archives is a "read-only" area, so if you have a question, you can come back here and ask about it. Another way to get to archives is to use the "Hop to" window at the foot of the page, and select "YD Stretches and Exercises". Just check out the titles for guidance. Happy hunting.

• 9 months later...

I have a question about my legs and feet for turnout. In ballet class on monday my teacher told me i might have to have my heels somewhat apart so that my legs are straight, because i guess i can not have them together and have my legs perfectly straight, will this improve? Or will i always have to stand in first positiong with my feet apart? thanks

-melissa

• Administrators

Sounds like your legs might be a bit hyperextended, Melissa :) This is not a bad thing, and it usually makes a very nice line in extensions. It can be a little hard to learn to control at first, but the space in first is totally acceptable to most teachers, as long as it does not get exaggerated! The most important thing with hyperextension is correct alignment and weight placement. If your weight goes back in your heels it forces the legs to hyperextend more. Not a good thing. So be very sure that you understand EXACTLY how to place yourself, and have her show you how to control the hyperextension. It is a structural thing, so you won't change it, but you will learn to manage it. LOTS of dancers have hyperextension, and very often they are also the ones with very good feet :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Amy_Dance

I just started taking ballet lessons. When our teacher told us to open into first position she made us turn over 160 ° and a friend who has taken ballet for about 8 years told me that was very wrong because she should not make us open so much cause we are new ,she also told us our knees could get damaged .Even though right away now it does not hurts she says it will with the time cause we were not prepared. I do not know who to listen probably she is making us turn out that much to earn flexibility on our bodies but probably she may be also damaging us . What do you think ?:confused: