Ballet Talk for Dancers

Stretching hamstrings

anoushka

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to stretch out hamstring muscles more? If I bend over I can touch the floor and feel the stretch-do I just need to do this more?

• Administrators

Hello anoushka, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert Online!

Ballet classes do a lot of stretching for hamstrings, particularly with the forward stretches at the barre. You can also stretch them sitting on the floor, before class, legs straight in front, bend forward. Keep it gentle, don't force. Hamstrings don't like to be forced. Stretching forward with your leg on the barre does the same thing. Be sure to maintain correct alignment, knees straight, foot pointed. Keep your back straight as you go forward and don't round it any more than you have to at the end when you lower your head.

an extra part that i add to the stretch miss leigh described is that i sit on the floor with my legs straight forward, but feet flexed (only when i'm warmed up). if you really stretch your legs and flex your feet as far as you can go, you heels will come of the floor, and in this situation i feel more stretch than doing it with my feet pointed (i don't feel anything then). but as i said before, i'm only doing this when i'm warmed up.

~SKIP~

Is there any more stretches to further stretch the hamstrings...I can bend in 1/2 and still not feel a stretch. Any ideas?

• Administrators

In that case, Meghan, it sounds like your hamstrings are quite stretched enough! :)

• Administrators

Yes, Meghan, it is good news :)

• 8 years later...

I too have rather loose hamstrings. One of the stretches I enjoy is when I touch my toes then walk up to a wall and press my back against it. If it hurts, back off or open your legs a bit. I do it in yoga often and it really releases my hamstrings when they feel tight.