Ballet Talk for Dancers

Yet another foot question

Chanel16

I have, in my opinion, the weirdest feet. When I'm not standing, I can fool anyone into thinking that I have a pretty decent arch. Even when I place my foot on the floor, it still looks dandy. But the second I put weight on it, SQUASH. What could have passed for an ok arch is all but gone, and my foot flattens out like a pancake. :D What's this kind of foot called? Is it just a plain old flat foot?

On another, slightly related note, I was fitted for my first pair of pointes (yay!) about two weeks ago, and the fitter said that I had 'a nice arch' when I went up en pointe. Is this even possible? Maybe she meant instep... I'm so befuddled. Any insight would be most helpful.

• Administrators

Chanel16, it is possible that you have a nice instep, but not the arch. Or, vice versa. Many people mix these up. Also, it is a little more unusual to have one good and not the other, but, it does happen. If your feet look good in the pointe shoes, then that is a major plus!

Also, it is a little more unusual to have one good and not the other, but, it does happen.

Tell me about it. My arches are just dandy, but my insteps are heinous. :shrug: