Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pain

Guest Nadezhda

Guest Nadezhda

Two weeks ago, I had a terrible pain in my thighs in the part on the inside of the leg, where the big thigh muscle is attached to the knee, more specifically, where it meets the muscle, that goes to the back of the leg (if my knowledge of anatomy is of any value!). It is much better now than it was, since I applied ice to it, but it still hurts, if I press gently with my fingertips onto it.

My question is, what could have caused it? Does this kind of pain often occur in dancers? I am aware that any pain is a sign something is wrong, but my teacher with many years of teaching and dancing practice did not correct me on anything, though she knows, it hurts. Let me just stress that it does not hurt when I take class. It hurts afterwards or if I try to stretch thigh muscle or when pressed onto it with fingertips.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

[ March 21, 2002, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Nadezhda ]

Guest Christina_ballerina

I sometimes have various pains in my body. Like last night I did some back flexibility exercises and today I felt a slight soreness in my back muscles. I have an EXTREMELY flexible back from years of tumbling. So I know it is not that. I suppose it usually occurs when I haven't done back exercises for a while, but it goes away. I also get soreness in my calves after pointe, and thats always. For me the soreness just means I got a good workout, as long as it goes away and it isn't extremely sore, I don't worry too much about it. Most all athletes get some type of soreness from a rigerous work out. I learned in biology the soreness comes from lactic acid. Which forms when your muscles don't get enough oxygen and this usually occurs when you've been working out for a long period of time. It's not unusual for me to be slightly sore.

Christina, the ballerina

Nadezhda, sounds to me like plain old fatigue soreness, and the cramps that can sometimes occur with it. Christina is right, the condition she describes is called "oxygen debt" and the muscles spasm when there's too much lactic acid built up in them. The muscle that may be involved is the sartorius, a muscle which comes around from the buttocks and crosses over the main thigh muscles on the way to the knee, where it ends. This muscle is very important in making and keeping actual rotation from the hip, and of course, affects how your feet turn out when they meet the floor! smile.gif You could use a little more pre-warmup before you start barre, and make sure you're well rotated and not tight, and so not overwork the poor sartorius. That, and sometime during the day, have a banana or a potato or some other good source of potassium. It helps the bloodstream carry the lactic acid away, by giving the lactic acid molecule something to hook up with and not do such a job of hooking up with your muscles! wink.gif

Guest Nadezhda

Thank you both for your replies.

Christina - I tend to be sore after classes too, but this time it is lasting rather long and I was worried. My muscles are "very prone to soreness" maybe it is because of the lack of potassium. I take a class on Monday and by Thursday, when I take my next class, my muscles are usually still sore. frown.gif So I do know the feeling.

Thank you Mr. Johnson for your advice, but I am allergic to bananas and eat quite an amount of potatoes. Maybe it's still not enough. Could adding potassium pills that dissolve in water to the water that I drink in class help?

Well, you could try potassium gluconate supplements. A lot of people who are allergic to bananas use them to get the added mineral, and report success with it. It's in tablet form. One a day will do.