Ballet Talk for Dancers

tendonitis

Guest Tyraney

Guest Tyraney

it is the dreaded word for all pointe dancers. i have recently developed tendonitis on the top of my left ankle (not in the achilles tendon.) i have had problems with tendonitis before in my wrists, and then the doctor recommended i take advil (for pain and inflamation) ice it, and do not move it much. so far i have put ice on my ankle, and put it in an ankle brace, but it is hard to keep your foot immobile. what are some things you dancers have done to lesson the agrivation of tendonitis? also, what could have caused it? most dancers get it in the achilles tendon. could it be my elastics in my pointe shoes? thank you for your help.

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Tyraney ]

• Administrators

Jenny, it is more likely due to overstretch or overuse than the elastic on the shoe. Some choreography, like in pas de deux where you sometimes have things where you go totally over the foot and slide, things like that, could cause it. In any case, there is nothing you can do except what you already know, which is RICE. It will not go away as long as the same stress is repeated in that area. So, you will have to rest it along with the ice, compression, and elevation. If it hurts to walk, then don't walk. If it doesn't, then a normal amount of walking around (no hiking or long walks though!) should not be a problem.

Guest Tyraney

it seems to be getting better, and i have been taking it easy on the pointe work. i am starting back into my regular routine again today, and hopefully i will not have as many problems with it. i think it was due to the stress caused by practicing passes and arabesques. thank you for yor help!!

Guest Luv2Dance

Tyraney~

I had tendonitis in the same place you do a while back. My teacher thinks I got mine from plies (the bending of the ankle) because I had really bee focusing on my barre work. And believe me, Ms. Leigh is right!!! ICE ICE ICE!!!! And lay off of the pointe work until you get completely back into your flat work. Hope you feel better! biggrin.gif

~Luv2Dance

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Luv2Dance ]