Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancaholic

Full time ballet or school??

dancaholic

Hey!

I am 16 years old in Australia and am currently in Adv. 2 RAD. I am quite a strong student, winning a few scholarships, but i was wondering i f i could have your advice on something.

As i am in year 10, i have the choice for next year to continue on to year 12, and get my HSC as my parents want me to do, or to leave school and do full time ballet. All of my friends and 90% of the strong dancers where i live leave school earlier. I am quite academic and i love school, but i also love to dance and want to become a professional contemporary or classical dancer. I am afraid that if i don't do full time next year that i will be behind everyone else and limit myself of a professional carreer.

your advice would be so much help!!

thanks

x

x

x

vrsfanatic

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. Please make yourself familiar with our wonderful website. While reading through all of the forums you may find you have many of the same questions as others of your age group.

Without a doubt, continue with your academic studies as well as training for your career in ballet. Perhaps the school system in Australia is set up differently than in the US which may make it more difficult for you, but you will never regret your decision to finish your high school diploma.

dancaholic

thanks. you don't think that going full time after year 12 at 18 will limit my chances at a company or company school?

vrsfanatic
As i am in year 10, i have the choice for next year to continue on to year 12, and get my HSC as my parents want me to do, or to leave school and do full time ballet.

I must have misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about finishing your academic high school years. In the US this generally means age 18. What to do after that is a discussion between you, your parents and also your ballet teacher. If your ballet teacher recommends that you pursue a career in ballet this could be taken into account when finalizing your decision with your family. Without knowing you as a dancer it is not possible to make concrete recommendations. It is a big decision indeed. Is it possible to be evaluated by a professional training program such as Australian Ballet School or the one at Western Australian Ballet ?

This wonderful information has just come from one of our members from Australia. Since this is the YD forum, I am posting it for her...

"After your HSC or equivilent you could apply to the Western Australian academy of performing arts in Perth, The Victorian college of arts, both of which have strong dance courses at tertiary level. The centre for Performing arts in adelaide has a bachelor of dance performance that is more towards the contemporary side of things. I'm sure Sydney will have some kind of tertiary level as well, I'm just not sure what it's called."

Thank you blochbuyer for your very helpful information and your polite understanding of our rules. :)

Edited by vrsfanatic

ballerine177

There are some people at my studio who dance and are homeschooled, so they can do both. just a thought....

appleblossom

*knock knock* I'm not sure where you live but i know that Kelvin Grove Highschool in Brisbane has a dance program tied in to high school studies, so that you can complete year 12, and also work towards a professional ballet career, The Australian Ballet School also does.

I have seen in a recent issue of Dance Australia magazine that there are other similar programs around the country, if it's ok i will PM you with some details.

Apple.

Victoria Leigh

Appleblossom, the original poster is a new member, so does not have PM privileges yet. Also, we no longer have knock knock policies and normally we will summarily delete any posts on YD made by an adult who is not a moderator. However, your information is very possibly important for the poster, so I will leave it. In the future we would appreciate it, if you have information for a YD forum, please send it to me via PM or email, and I can post it for you. Thank you! :wink: