Ballet Talk for Dancers

Good scholarships?

petitallegro

Could I have suggestions for summer programs for the serious student on a very limited budget?

I'm looking for a very strong program with a good scholarship fund.

Thanks

Stephanie

• Administrators

Stephanie, I think most programs have some scholarships available for the most talented students, but I don't know if any have a particularly large scholarship fund. My suggestion would be to audition for as many you can, and see what happens. And don't forget that the tuition is really not the most expensive part of the summer intensive anyway. The housing, food and transportation costs are more than the tuition. They are expensive programs, all of them, and there is really very little difference in the cost per week of all of the top schools. A five week program will cost less than a six week program, but if you have to travel twice as far it might not be any different. So, you will have to see what is offered to you, and then figure all the other costs in to determine if you can afford it or not.

• 2 months later...

I know that i received a scholarship that funded 3/4 of the entire cost of the summer program at Walnut Hill. It was not based on need, however and Im not exactly sure how i was rewarded it. I know that they review you during your audition and i was told in a letter that followed. Also several other programs offered me some scholarships, such as virginia school of the arts and southern ballet theater. I think you just need to audition and see what happens. Harid Conservatory offers full paid tuition to all itts accepted studentts ( i believe). I hope that this helps. Good luck!

• Administrators

Clarification on Harid scholarships, courtesy of a Mom who has a daughter there. (Thanks, BA2's Mom! smile.gif ) They do not scholarship all summer students, although it is affordable, and there are some merit scholarships and financial aid if one qualifies.