Ballet Talk for Dancers

esmerelda

Guest Portia

Guest Portia

I learned a variation from esmerelda this summer at a summer intensive that involved a tambourine (sp?) and kicking it with your foot - i am wondering if anyone knows where i can get this variation on video because i can't remember the entire thing and would like to relearn it? I have already checked out Amazon.com (don't worry, through the link on this page!) but there didn't seem to be anything there. Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

Portia, to my knowledge it is not available on video. If it is, I have never been able to find it either. frown.gif

I hope rg will see this and answer it, because he will be able to give you chapter and verse, but I know of two videos, one by Komleva, the other by Asylmuratova and Kirill Melnikov. I THINK the Asylmuratova is on a video called "The Kirov Ballet in London" but try before you by. The Komleva is on one of those "Best of the Kirov" collections.

• Administrators

Those videos have the Pas de Six, but I don't think the tambourine variation is there. I could be wrong. rg, help!

Guest koshka_jete

If there is any video footage available from the 1998 Jackson IBC, I would look into that. Some of the dancers did perform that variation...

Victoria, really, both Komleva and Asylmuratova are wielding a tambourine smile.gif It's one of those long pas de deux, with an adagio and two solos for each and a coda. (If I had to choose, I'd pick the Asylmuratova version.)

• Administrators

Thanks Alexandra, glad to know that! smile.gif

Koshka, the Jackson IBC has it, but it's not complete. They show an excerpt.

Guest toedancer23

I have a music question (relates to alexandra's reply above):

What is a coda? I've heard my teachers explain to the pianist that they want a coda and I'm always wondering what that means, exactly.

Thanks smile.gif

A coda is an ending, often a reprise (meaning, repeats material that has gone before).

This is a very unofficial seat-of-the-pants definition, so if anyone can do better, musically or choreographically, please feel free smile.gif

Coda just means "tail". In a piece of continuous music, it can be a "finale" section added after any number of different kinds of thematic treatments. In ballet, where it's often a separate sub-number of a larger part of the score, it's often a separate, free-standing piece used to end the work, as in the structure of the formal grand pas de deux: entrée, adage, variation 1, variation 2, CODA!

Guest toedancer23

Yes, thanks! Now I know what a coda is. smile.gif

I am going to try to learn more about music, it's so fascinating! There are just so many interesting things in the world!

I was just visiting Amazon.com and found 2 kirov videos that may have it - the one with Asylmuratova is called "kirov ballet Classic Performances". That one does make mention of esmerelda. The other video i found was called "the glory of the Kirov" and makes mention of Komleva, but doesn't talk about esmerelda in the review. I also found the Kirov Ballet In London, but there was no review. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which one i should buy? Thanks!

Hi! I do have the "Kirov Classics" video, and the variation you're talking about is there. I learned it last summer too, and it is the same one. I am very sorry, I know I am not 16 yet, but I could see that no one really knew for sure if it was out there, so I wanted to confirm that it was. I am sorry, moderators!

• Administrators

No problem, Christa, and thanks for the information!