Ballet Talk for Dancers

DVD/Videos: Cinderella?

Guest dreamofdance

I'm really bad with the search engine on this site, so please forgive me if I've missed this somewhere. My DD's school is performing Cinderella this year and we are looking for a DVD to purchase. Do you recommend Royal Ballet, Bolshoi, or other?

I prefer the Ashton RB version. As a critic once pointed out, "They dance in English."

And I have to say that although the latest version with Wayne Sleep as one of the Uglies is excellent, I still have a soft spot for the old version with Ashton and Helpman - Ashton was so sweet!

We attempted to watch the Bolshoi version a couple of years ago (I believe it was the 1978 version) and it was too avant garde for us to even finish it. (Picture Cinderella on an "acid trip".) I think there is an earlier Bolshoi version that might be better, but I haven't seen it.

Guest dreamofdance

Thank you everyone. I especially enjoyed the "picture Cinderella on an acid trip!" The group of girls that will be watching this is between 10 and 12 , so Royal Ballet it is!!!

• 2 years later...

I just finished watching all THIRTEEN Youtube videos of the Paris Opera's Prokofiev 2008 Cinderella... THAT is one production that is worthy of an Emmy... Oscar... and everything else. It is not overly chessy, the humor is well built into the storyline, the storyline itself is unique. It is truly a work of art, a masterpiece...

• 1 year later...

I saw one Cinderella ballet DVD. I bought it thinking I'd enjoy it... but I really didn't enjoy it. This was quite a while back, if I could find it, I'd give it another shot. I found the dancers horribly ugly with the makeup and costumes... but now that I think of it, those were probably the step sisters and meant to be ugly. Don't remember what company did it.