Ballet Talk for Dancers

Interlocen

Guest SugarPlumFairy

Guest SugarPlumFairy

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you have ever auditioned or went to Interlochen. I am auditioning for them next week. Do you think that they are a good summer intensive? They are located in the same state as me and my parents are not allowing me to leave my state this year for summer intensives due to everyting thats going on. So beside interlochen what other programs in Micigan do you recommend.

Thanks,

SugarPlum biggrin.gif

I've attended Interlochen for the past three summers, but not as a Dance Major. I did minor in ballet, though, and because of my interest in dance I observed everything possible (studio showings as well as the Summer Dance Ensemble performances...I also saw lots of rep rehearsals...which can be viewed when they are in the main studio) going on in the Dance Building! I believe the major program is very good, but its value to you depends largely on your ability while in it and your goals. I recently talked to a friend from last year who majored in ballet, and though she absolutely loved Interlochen, she is not returning this year because she said she needs to be a bit more challenged...she is used to dancing with a bit more technically advanced dancers, though she wasn't the best at camp by far. (This variation in ability is probably because the major program includes both Intermediate and High School campers...but they do split into three levels, I believe.) The whole "Interlochen Experience" is quite magical, but if you have dancing professionally as your main goal and are getting close to the age and ability to begin company auditions, I think you probably would benefit more from an SI associated with a company. (??) The program is quite intense, though...like most SIs...I believe you have about 6 hours of classes plus whatever scheduled rehearsals you have. Interlochen is great for some people and not as great for others...it is definitely worth consideration...I thoroughly enjoyed my summers there!

Guest SugarPlumFairy

Thanks Hjete,

What did you major in when you went? Are you thinking of going back this year. Can you tell me about the housing are you housed with dance majors or are the mixed?? I am 16 and I'm not looking at ballet to be a profession, I love it and I'm in the company at our studio but my parents would never let me do this professionaly. Do you have any idea what the auditions are like? I am sorry if I seem like I'm asking so many questions but I really want to go and I haven't heard much from anyone about this program.

Thnaks Again,

SugarPlum biggrin.gif

Sugar Plum--I lived in Michigan and attended Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp in Twin Lake (its about 1 hour north of Grand Rapids). It is a pretty good program, and judging from their website they have an excellent guest faculty this year, including Charles Askegaard of NYCB. I was pretty happy there, but it was years ago that I attended. the setting is beautiful, and the training was just as intense and vigourous as any other program my friends were attending. Plus they have an international ballet troupe (I think they still do, anyway)and the chance to travel to Europe and train and perform. I had a great time there and made many friends that came year after year. Check it out...

my mom went to interloken for like 9 summers or something and although this was obviously a long time ago she said the whole experience was one she will never forget. I dont think she ever majored in ballet but from all of her pictures of the productions put on etc they all looked of an excellent stamdard.

anyway i live in england and have never had to opportunity to attend but i just thought i would let u know what a real experience it was for my mom. she wentr on to work in the media and do many more exciting things with her life but she always counts her summers at interlocken as the most happy ones of her life!!

sorry if this wasnt a very helpfull post!!

jude xx

The Interlochen "family" is huge...from all over the world (I had a girl from Japan in my cabin last summer and also knew a German girl) and of all ages since the camp has been around since 1928! At that time it was called National Music Camp, and I'm not quite sure when the dance division was added, but I guess that is irrelevant here! wink.gif SugarPlum...I am going back this year...(I just received my acceptance letter today biggrin.gif ) and I've majored in choir and musical theatre in the past. I wish I could major in ballet at IAC, but I haven't taken enough pointe to apply (I started ballet pretty late and did a lot of school changing before finding a really good one.) The housing is cabins and all the arts areas are mixed! I think this is especially cool...you see how much all artists have in common and everyone has such a drive there to "be as good as you can be and better than you are." (That's a quote from the camp founder, Dr. Maddy) The passion surrounding you is sooooooo inspiring! I have no idea what the auditions are like...especially because this is the first year they've had an audition tour. Most likely just a regular ballet class and pointe, too...and I'm sure it will include what they require on the VHS tapes that some people audition by. (Do you have a camp catalog with all the info? It's in there.) I think the program is especially good if you aren't wanting to be a professional... that's just my impression, though, because people trained at IAC dance professionally all the time! I don't know too much about Blue Lake, but I think they are also a very good camp and I've heard their dance division is great. They have more famous guest artists, at least. It would probably be a great place to check into in addition to Interlochen! Your questions are fine...I'm happy to help you out! HTH a bit!

Guest hesterlover1

Hi SugarPlumFairy! I have a few things to say on this topic...first of all, I live in Michigan too and I'm auditioning for Interlochen this Sunday in Bloomfield Hills...is that where you're going? If so, I'll see you there! biggrin.gif

I have never been to Interlochen before, so I couldn't tell you anything about the program that hasn't already been said. However, about Blue Lake...I have never been there, and maybe there are some people who have gone and had a very positive experience, but I have had five friends who have gone in recent years (although those five went during three separate summers), and NONE of them liked it. The program was only two weeks long, and they said most of the dancers weren't very good, the cabins and stuff were awful, they didn't like the director of the dance program, and overall it wasn't nearly as professional as any other dance program they've ever attended! Also, to the best of my knowledge, I'm pretty sure they don't have a performing ensemble that goes overseas anymore, though I guess they did in the past. So, I'm not speaking from firsthand experience, and someone else may have gone and had a great time, but this is just what I've heard. Thought you might like to know if you look into other dance programs besides Interlochen.

And since you asked about other SIs in Michigan, I would recommend the Joffrey Midwest Workshop in Flint, which is four weeks long. I went last year and LOVED it!! It was very professional, I LOVED all the teachers, class sizes were good and I got lots of attention and help, I improved a lot, the housing and food were good, and the program was very professional. I was very impressed with the quality of the program and our final performance. I would definitely recommend auditioning for the program, because it's great!! biggrin.gif Another program is not a pre-professional program, per say, but if you're looking for a shorter, less expensive intensive, you could look into the Cecchetti Council of America's Summer Intensive in Holland, Michigan. It's two weeks, and I've gone twice. It was a very good program for me at the time--I was 12 and 13, but lots of older dancers go. The teachers were very good, and I had a great time--I just feel like I've grown out of the program now. The only thing is, it's a lot of Cecchetti style--which isn't too different from everything else, but I wouldn't go if you love Balanchine!! eek.gif Anyway, I hope this info. helped someone, and maybe I'll see you at the audition for Interlochen!

Guest SugarPlumFairy

Hey Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the information on Interlochen and other summer intensives. Katie good luck this Sunday maybe you can tell me about the audition. Unfortuntly it looks like I won't be auditioning for any summer intensives this month because my 20 year old cousion who lives in Kentucky has cancer and they are only giving her till Feburary to live so our family is all down in Kentucky with them.

Thanks for all the information though

Love,

Sugar Plum eek.gif

Guest hesterlover1

Sugar Plum--I'm so sorry about your cousin! frown.gif That's really sad. Thanks for the good luck wishes...I really hope your cousin is all right!!

~Katie~

(PS-Sorry if this is too chatty...)

I, too, am sorry about your cousin. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. Though I know you have more important things to think about right now with your cousin's illness, if you do end up auditioning for SIs and are still interested in Interlochen, you could always send in an audition tape. Since their audition tour is so new, most Dance Majors still audition by VHS tape. It is a lot more work to prepare, though. I just do recommend the camp enough to think it's worth it.

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: Hjete ]

Guest Enterprisecdr

I am very sorry about your cousin, my family went through something like that a few years ago with my grandfather (he died three days before my b-day...kinda stinks!), and I will also keep you in my prayers. If you do decide to try out, I wish you the best of luck!

-Kat

Guest hesterlover1

The audition wasn't hard at all. All ages were combined for the audition, 8-18, though most of the dancers were probably between 11 and 17, I'd guess, so with such a big age range there were very mixed levels...so on pirouettes, we could do a double or a single, depending what level we were at, etc. I didn't think the combinations were hard--we didn't really do any hard steps and they weren't too long, but I guess for the younger girls at the audition, they might have been a little difficult! (I'm 15...so I guess this isn't really my board, but I hope it's OK to post this.) I liked the teacher--his name was Michael something, I can't remember his last name, but he gave some interesting corrections to help us, and he encouraged us not to be nervous and enjoy ourselves...a lot different from SAB the previous day!! We did an hour or so of ballet, one pointe enchainment, and a few really brief modern things across the floor--although I'm not a modern dancer I could pretty much pick them up. I hope this helps you...it's too bad you couldn't make it to the audition! I've been praying for your cousin and your family. frown.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest DarkIvy

icky thats too bad about your cousin! my grandmas kinda in the same boat... *sigh* I came here because someone told me they have lots of info on Interlochen. I might audition for them. Someone said that you have to have a certain amount of pointe work, how much pointe work? I was en pointe but I switched studios and they said I wasnt ready so I will be back en pointe in the summer time, but since I don't have too much experience I'm curious to know how MUCH you're supposed to have. THANX!!!

Ivy - I believe Interlochen requires 2 consecutive years of pointe work in order to be a ballet major. (You don't need any for modern major, obviously.) The pointe work is probably the main reason I didn't audition as a dance major, but 2 yrs is probably a good minimum...I don't think with less than that I would be ready for an intensive program like they have.