Ballet Talk for Dancers

2week SI?

macleb

My mom and I have been looking at different SI's and one of our favoites is the Nutmeg 2 week program. The only thing is that I don't know if 2 weeks will be worth it. If I do that SI, I can go to my local dance school for their SI that is 3 weeks in additon. The other thing that you should know, I have never been away from home longer than 3 days and I'm a homebody. The 2 week SI sounds appealing, because it is like a test to see how I deal away from home. Also, my SI budget is low compared to how the other camps cost. Do you know of any other camps that are not that costly?( either 2 or 3 weeks) Do you think that a 2 weeker will let me improve a lot?

thanks

macleb

• Administrators

Macleb, our feeling here is that one needs a minimum of a 5 week program in the summer, and 6 is even better. While 2 weeks is better than nothing, it's really not enough for anyone 13 and over. There is so much to gain in the summer, when you are not in school and can devote the whole day, and all of your focus and concentraion, on dance. Going away also helps you to become more independent, which dancers really need to be, and, you make lots of new friends. B)

As to cost, most of the programs are comparable in cost. Some are a bit higher than others, but they average somewhere in the same ballpark in terms of housing and tuition. I think you should investigate all of the programs which have auditions in your area, take the audition classes, and see how you come out in terms of acceptances. Then look at everything and make a decision. By next summer you will be older and maybe a lot more ready to be away from home for a while longer. :crying:

Just an idea.

I understand that you may get very homesick, but it is a lot easier to go away to a longer intensive if it is smaller and "homier". My first intensive last year was Jillana, and even though it was four weeks (the longest time i've been away from home) I felt very comftorable there, it was so cozy! And I only got a little homesick. I heard that walnut hill has a very good program also!

And yes, besides that 2 weeks isn't really adequate, It would probably be even worse, since you would be so rushed to finish the curriculum planned out for that SI that you may not get as much of a chance to settle in.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for all of your advice. What I think I'll do, is do a smaller SI and then add my local SI that is 3 weeks onto it. This way, I'll be dancing for 6 weeks of the summer.Does my plan seem ok?

macleb

• Administrators

Macleb, why limit yourself right now? Whatever you decide to do will be okay because it is what you choose to do, however, why not give yourself some options? As I said before, you will be a lot older by next summer, and might be very ready for a full program. At least do the auditions for everything that you can, and then you will have choices. :shrug:

I'm going to audtion to a handful of places, but I like to know plans. I thought by comming up with the 3 week/local camp would provide me with enough dance over the summer. But, I do not know what I will end up doing until I hear back from the SI's.

MACLEB :devil:

• Administrators

The SI auditions are very early in the year, and there is quite a bit of time to make your decisions after you hear back from them. Planning now for this kind of thing is really not the best idea. Sometimes it's best to just be patient and wait and see what happens. You can't know right now what will seem right to you in June of next year, or even February or March, for that matter! :devil:

• Administrators

There are a few in the fall, mostly in Canada, but all the others start in January. You may have to go to Boston for most of them.

You should also check the SI forum to find intensives that cater to a younger crowd. And don't forget to really do your homework, because there may be some places that you can't go to the audition for, but you can send in a video.