Ballet Talk for Dancers

dance shorts vs. skirts?

opie

• Administrators

If they are not required, and you don't want to wear them, don't wear them. Who are you trying to please anyway? What is more important, feeling the same as everyone else now, or feeling comfortable and ready for professional auditions?

At my professional school we are allowed to wear skirts throughout the class if we wish to, but no shorts. We aren't allowed to wear either if we are taking class with a guest teacher. I really prefer dancing without either, to tell you the truth. I'd like to be able to see my placement clearly, and I know my teachers need to if they're to correct me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always liked wearing shorts to class. I'm pretty self conscious when it comes to dancewear, and I like to be covered up more than most leotards do. I've owned a couple skirts, but since I've taken mostly low-key classes, shorts have always been acceptable.

I think that shorts make your legs look yucky. They cut them off and the leg line is not as flattering as a nice high cut leotard. I never wear shorts but sometimes I wear a chiffon skirt in open classes.

• Administrators

I agree, BallrinaBel, and I just explained why over on your other thread about tights over the leotard. Skirt is intended to go on the waist, and when worn there, they are okay. When down around the hips they look awful. But the shorts are always from the hip level. Cuts off the length of the legs. Very stupid, IMO. :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

The answer for variations is clear; occasionally, the dancer will make playing with the skirt part of the dance.