Ballet Talk for Dancers

ISTD

Guest Hazel

I was wondering if anyone else on the board learns the ISTD syllabus forballet. This is the syllabus that I study. I'm at Grade 5 which I hope to take soon.What to do other people think of the syllabus? Anyone else on Grade 5? smile.gif

• Administrators

Hello Hazel, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert Online!

I haven't heard any of our members talking much about ISTD, but perhaps there are some here who will respond. Good luck with your Grade 5 exams smile.gif

Guest Angelina_the_ballerina

Hiya,

biggrin.gif

I do ISTD although I never did grade 5 (only one I skipped, typical) rolleyes.gif Anyways, I'm on advanced 1, I take RAD aswell! How old are you?

Sounds like you're in the Cecchetti side of the house in ISTD. In the US, the Cecchetti Council of America has an administrative relationship with ISTD. Theoretically, there's also a centre for the Imperial/International syllabus, but they don't maintain anywhere near as high a profile as does RAD. So are you doing Cecchetti ISTD?

I'm doing the ISTD Imperial Syllabus not the Cechetti. They only offer this syllabus at my dance school even though they are trained to teach RAD as well. The ISTD syllabus is a lot more "dancey" than RAD. A lot more free work in it, less set exercises. I prefer it personally to RAD especially as I don't want to (or rather can't) be a professional. I'm 17 by the way.

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Hazel ]

Could someone briefly explain what ISTD is? I have heard of it a few times, but I am unsure of what it is. Thanks!

ISTD stands for the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dance. It's an umbrella organization that was formed in Britain and has many different disciplines represented in its offerings. Not only ballet and modern, but tap, ballroom, ethnic and other forms are covered by its teachers. The ballet wing of the Society has two separate curricula, one for Cecchetti technique and one for what is called the Imperial syllabus, called in some places International to avoid objections to names which suggest colonialism.

ISTD is a worldwide organization, but has not as yet spread as far and wide as RAD.

Guest Angelina_the_ballerina

I'd LOVE to go profesional, but I really don't think I've had enough training early on! The training I have is great though! I was considering taking a degree in dance but decided it would be pretty useless as so many dancers are at full time dance school from such a young age!

rolleyes.gif

I'm 16 and a bit!

biggrin.gif

I think we're in a similar position. I'd also love to be a pro but I'm not advanced enough for my age - you could go a dance school which takes students for professional dancing at 18. The Merseyside Dance & Drama school does that.If you've got as far as Advanced 1 then you should go for it. I would love to be where you are - getting ot Garde 6 is still a bit of a hurdel fro me!