Ballet Talk for Dancers

i need help.

Guest chrissymoon

Guest chrissymoon

hi. i have a major dancing prblem. i have been dancing for 15 years, and have been offered a student schlorship with the ballet company where i live. now here's the problem... with all the hours that i will be dancing, and taking class; i will hardly ever see my 2 year old daughter. how do i balance both. my little girl is my first priority, but dancing has been the next biggest priority. someone please help me...

• Administrators

Hello Chrissy, welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Talk!

I understand your dilemma, and your priority, however, there are usually ways to make things work out for both you and your child. smile.gif Many mothers with young children work full time, or go to school, and there are quite a few professional dancers who have children. Unless a parent is in a financial position to remain at home with their child, and chooses to do this, then it is necessary to have a career or job. If you are working towards becoming a professional dancer, and have the opportunity to do this, then finding the right care for your child while you do it could be beneficial to you both, as you will be happier if you can work at what you really want to do. The hours a dancer works are long and hard, but then so are the hours for achieving success in any profession. They are generally not unreasonable or longer than other areas of work, just perhaps a bit different.

At two years old your child could be in day care, with a grandparent or relative, or, if you can afford it, a professional nanny. You will not be dancing 24/7, and should be able to still spend a great deal of quality time with your child.