Ballet Talk for Dancers
3tutugirls

Ballet West Academy - Utah

fcmsmom

My DD, age 16, just found out she was accepted into the Professional Training Division.  Anyone else? 

1doglover

Hi fcmsmom,

My DD, age 17, was just accepted also to the PTD at BW Academy. We are from out of state, so need to look into housing options. Do you know much about the program? We are new to this! Thanks! Decision deadline of only 5 days....

fcmsmom

Hi 1doglover,

Most of what I know about the PTD I found out on this thread and over on Professional Training School/Post Grad thread. Apparently it's possible to live with an in-town host family, but many girls get apartments together near the studio. DD says they will be linking up families so they can communicate.

We had decided that DD needs to leave her home studio next year to get better training, but finding better training where we live would involve at least an hour's commute one way. DD is sooo excited to have been invited to stay. This is her second summer at Ballet West and she loves it. 

By the way, DD (who is from California) has been hanging out with two girls from Michigan who both got invited to stay. Maybe the girls already know each other?

1doglover

Fcmsmom, that’s so funny! I spoke with my DD this morning and she is roommates with your DD. 😀 we are from Michigan. We can probably take this conversation offline. I will have my DD give your DD my contact info.

blissfulballerinamom

DD 18 still looking for housing and room mate for fall. She is working on leads but not confirmed. Please reply if you have suggestions. Thank you.

fcmsmom

Hi blissfulballerinnamom,

My DD is also still looking for roommates as well.  She is 16.  We don't know any other PTDs and can't seem to get information.  Supposedly there is a list and a facebook group, but we can't seem to get the information.  So frustrating!  I think I will try calling tomorrow since I don't get any responses to emails.  

mom2two

This may be a tough week to get in touch with folks as the SI just ended and most academies "go dark" the week after.  From our experience last year, it's best to work on it through your DDs connections made at the intensive with others invited to stay.  We ended up getting a one bedroom for our DDs to share because we couldn't make a foursome of roommates work out in the short time available.  I'm not aware of a list or group.        

fcmsmom

Mom2two, Thanks for the reply!  The problem is that my DD wasn't able to connect with any other PTDs.  She knows some who were invited, but none who decided to stay. Apparently there were none in her level (she was level E during weeks 1-3, level 4 for weeks 5-6). I'm guessing that most of the PTDs were from higher levels.  I talked to several academy staff when I was in SLC at the end of the SI, and all were super nice and I was assured that we are on the roommate list and that everyone on the list will be sent info. One of the RIs told me that she heard that the new PTDs have started a FB group. I'm trying to be patient, but I'm starting to panic because we seem to be out of the loop and moving day is less than 4 weeks away. Getting a studio apartment with no roommate would be tough!

keepcalmandrondejambe

We are looking for a 4th roommate to fill a 2 bedroom apartment for this year. If any of you are interested, please message me privately. 

fcmsmom

Hi keepcalmandrondejambbe,

We are interested, but I don't think I can message you since I'm a new-ish member.