Ballet Talk for Dancers

RAD grade 7

Guest jude

Hope it is ok to post this here, there aresimilar posts like this and i thought it would make an interesting discussion.

i am a 16 year old girl who has been dancing for 11 years. I am currently on RAD grade 7, i always imagined that as i never trained to be a pro, i was way behind others of my age. I dont have great turnout, i cant jump high and im unflexible but i love to dane and try to see ballet as often as possible.

i wonder if there are ohter girls out there lke me?

i hope it is ok to post this here i would love to hear from you all

JUDE XOXO

i just did grade 7 and loved it!!!!!!! what about you, do you like grade 7 (and if you did 6, do you like 7 better than 6?????????????)????????

~SKIP~

just started grade seven, have done grade 6 but from wehat i can tell im really going to love 7 because its so dancey, especially for someone like me who is not technically strong , to be able to still do lovely dances is great. i especially love the free movement section!

if u dont mind me asking, hiw old are u?

• Administrators

It's fine to post that here, Jude, but just please be sure that you write the words out in English, and don't use abbreviations that people might not understand if English is not their first language. smile.gif ("u" instead of "you", for example)

i'm 17

and yes, grade 7 is dancey, it's also the most important thing of that grade. they want you to dance, instead of just using your technique (of course you need to use the technique that you have biggrin.gif ).

i loved every part of grade 7 and especially the port de bras, adage, grand allegro and the dance. the barrework is great too and character is soooo much different than grade 6 (which i liked more by the way).

free movement is beautiful, because the first exercise is so calm and the second is also quite calm (otherwise your scarf is not 'listening' biggrin.gif )

~SKIP~

thanks for letting me post this here i will mmake sure to use correct language from now on!! I was wondering was Ms leigh or Ms johnson had any thoughts about dancing at my sort of level!

skip have you also done elementary,intermediate etc? i havent and i wonder how they differ from the grades.

is there anyone else out there in a similar situation to me? or anyone on grade 7?

• Administrators

Jude, Major Johnson is our resident RAD expert here, so we will wait for him to respond to that part. As to what I think, you said you love to dance even though you are not aiming for a career, and I think that's just fine! biggrin.gif Working hard and enjoying something like ballet can be wonderful just for itself, and does not have to have a lifetime goal in terms of being professional.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Victoria Leigh ]

Jude, I have nothing but respect for your decision to continue on with ballet studies even though no career of full-time dancing is planned. Grade 7 is no shoddy achievement in itself, and a good indicator of good technical grounding, which should serve you in good stead in the Elementary examination, where the judging criteria are based less on presentation, and more on sheer technique and demonstration of the application of discipline (as if any dancer wouldn't do that latter to some degree). I don't know what the scene is where you live regarding the "community dance" company. In some places, it's highly dependent upon contemporary, or even jazz/tap. Other places are rich in opportunities for ballet dancers, whether preprofessional or recreation tracking, to have a performing outlet without the allocation of the great gouts of time that a professional commitment would make. Mature dancers who have left the professional stage, or who opted out of a career, are often found in the membership of such "community" or "civic" companies. If you enjoy dancing, this might be a good activity for you, and if such a company does not currently exist in your area, why not organize one? smile.gif Just a thought....

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: Mel Johnson ]

thanks evertone for your replies!

i live i london so there is qite a range of dance classes/companys but i feel im just not up to scrathch tecniqiley, i do plan to start a company for jewish choildern when i grow up. ive always planned to do this and i see it as my way as using dance in life!!

jude, to answer your question, i did my elementary in june (last year) and i am now practising on pre-intermediate.

i like the higher grades more than elementary. pre-intermediate is more fun though (in my opinion).

elementary is all about technique and my teacher allows us to dance more in pre-intermediate than in elementary. elementary became boring because of all the technique instead of dancing. i mean, we were allowed to dance, but not as much as in the higher grades and we are allowed to do it more in pre-inter.

~SKIP~

[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: Skip ]

Both are equally important and they complement each other. I have no professional experience but I've taken classes both in elementary and Grade 7. Technique is no doubt important, I think it's the basic for all types of dance; a good technique foundation paves the way for proper way to dance, hopefully that will lead to injury-free and enjoyable career (to people who are professionally involved) and a fun and correct way to keep fit (for people who are involved recreationally, like myself).

I think that most professional ballet companies would want dancers that are good in technique as well as aesthetic (expressiveness, musicality, versatility). Please don't undermine the importance of the elementary level. It's there for a reason, although I do agree that it's very technique-based and not much of dancing, compared to Grade 6 & 7.

~pointe~

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: pointe ]

point

i would never dream of trying to mundermine the importance of technique!!

i was merely trying to say that for me personally as mentioned earlier in the thread, having danced for over11 years i already know plenty of technique for the level of dancing i am on and that as im not planning on becoming a pro and have only a few hours a week to devote to class i find the grades much more dancey and enjoyable.

I agree with you, I do sometimes get tired of doing technique all the time, but being such a difficult artform ballet is, I would just have to get through the technique part of it. I have had 8 years of ballet (recreationally). I think that to maintain the peak of ballet is to be good at technique but not at the expense of aesthetic, musicality, artistry, and versatility.

I think even the professionals cannot run away from this fact. They often must improve themselves; be it technique wise and/or aesthetic wise in order for them achieve what they have set out to do as professionals.

Well, be it professional or recreational ballet, it should be enjoy by people from all walks of life.

~pointe~