Ballet Talk for Dancers

performance bloopers

jessi489

We were doing Nutcracker and there was this part where Sugarplum waves her wand at Clara and the Prince, and the girl who was Sugarplum was standing a little too close to them so when she waved her wand she accidentally hit Clara in the face with it and knocked her over!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PinkonPointe

• Tamara Watts

• balletislife15

• dancerchik

At our February recital, we did sort of little red riding hood thing. My costume was sooo low cut, that when I bent down (in the choreography) it slid down past my chest. :)

well one of my costumes was a very short skirt for like a flappers theme...

and it wasn't real material it was just like strings all together from an inch

of cloth. it was sooo embarassing because on stage everyone could see

my nude leotard and it was horribleee!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading about a girl in a dance magazine, she had a super fast quik change so she changed backstage behind a jacket, but one time she accidentally tripped and ending falling onstage partly dressed, luckily she quikly grabbed the jacket and was okay

• 2 weeks later...

I have three

When i was a mouse in the nutcracker right before curtain call my mask broke so when he ran out i had to hold my mask up the whole time

also when i was a party girl in the nutcracker we did the same thing two times in a row but the last part was different so the first time we were suppossed to do three arabesques but instead my partner and i ran around in a circle like we were supposed to do the second time

finally in our performance of cinderella my dance teacher were supposed to do a lift and then walk around in a circle but he dropped her so they had to bure ? in a circle instead

I have had a strange experience on stage too. During the mad scene of Giselle, Giselle threw down her necklace, not realizing that it had hooked to her skirt. For half of the made scene her necklace was trailing behind her, wrapping its way around dancers' feet and legs. The first time she 'collapsed' I bent down toward her, and while trying to look as though I was stroking her out of concern and affection, I was actually busy ripping the thread loose from which the necklace trailed. My heart was pounding!

At the end of the first act in Cinderella, the pumpkin carriage is pulled out onto stage to take Cinderella to the ball, and a footman is supposed to open the door for her, but one of the backstage hands forgot to untie the rope holding the door shut, so the footman couldn't get it open and our beautiful principal dancer ended up walking off stage next to the carriage! :)

I'm very new to ballet and have only been taking classes for 4-5 months. My teacher decided that I had caught up enough to be in their show.

Me and three other girls were given another dance that our teacher was desperate to squeeze in and although it was pretty long she only gave us a couple of weeks to learn it.

When we got on stage we didn't have a clue what we were doing for the middle section and stood on stage obviously staring at our teacher who had to start dancing in the wings so we could copy her.

We looked clueless!

What's worse is my mum got it on film and I look totally confused.

:D

In last years Nutcracker I was Snow Queen, and as I was dancing the back of my pointe shoe slipped off and I fell...worst part was Kyra Nichols of NYCB was in the audience :)

And another time, in Sleeping Beauty, the cavalier didn't show up and there was no understudy so my dance teacher (who is a woman!!) had to go out dressed as a man and do his part! the guy never came back to the dance studio again, what a surprise...

• 3 weeks later...

I have a funny, but mildly painful one. Thankfully this was on rehearsal earlier in the day of the performance. We were performing Alice in Wonderland. I was a card. This happened during the part where The Queen of Hearts is sentencing Alice to death while playing croquet . The Queen made a 'off with her head' gesture and whapped me right in the nose :flowers: Great times! Let's just say I had to put on extra makeup there that day! :clover: My old studio ( I know attend somewhere else) was full of bloopers.

Oh!! I remembered another!! This one was very heart pounding and frighting. We were at a competition at my old studio, and were performing a lyrical/contemporary type piece with a story line. So the lead girl is supposed to get thrown out of the way and lay on the ground while everything else is still raging ( story was of a fight) It comes time to lift her, and she's not where she was supposed to be :clover: I'm sure everyone looked around as I did, confused. We see her lying on the ground where she had been thrown, her body simply racked with sobs. We continue on, the group of lifters just kinda following what one another was doing. We managed to finish the dance, and the oldest girl carried her off as though she hadn't made it through the fight. I must admit we were all mostly crying as we realized she was injured seriously, otherwise she would never be like this. It turns out she had torn her ACL. She is still recovering, I pray for her everyday. Tearing up just remembering it :flowers:

• 2 months later...

ok back to a nutcracker one. So when I was nine i was a soldier and there was about 7 of us. So in dress rehearsal after the nutcracker "died" we were supposed to go stand in front of him while Clara went and looked for him. Well all of a sudden i hear the girl 2 or 3 people away from me start crying and then someone next to me scream eww and the nutcracker scream and stood up and ran offstage. Apparently the girl started peeing on stage, on the nutcracker's head!!! Even funnier when I got offstage my mom had all my stuff in hand because she had thought it was me and she thought I wanted to get away as fast as possible.

My story doesn't have to do with ballet, but before a 5th grade choir production, i came down with strep throat, and wasn't able to learn my lines. I ended up having to get a notebook and carry my lines on stage with me. I was embarassed because I couldn't help not being able to learn my lines!

Also, i was the lead role, so that only made it worse!!!

Ha the sugar plum in my nutcracker a few years ago, she was wearing rainbow colored leg warmers that went all the way up to her thighs and had to run off stage quickly to take them off! :dry:

Oh!! I remembered another!! This one was very heart pounding and frighting. We were at a competition at my old studio, and were performing a lyrical/contemporary type piece with a story line. So the lead girl is supposed to get thrown out of the way and lay on the ground while everything else is still raging ( story was of a fight) It comes time to lift her, and she's not where she was supposed to be :sweating: I'm sure everyone looked around as I did, confused. We see her lying on the ground where she had been thrown, her body simply racked with sobs. We continue on, the group of lifters just kinda following what one another was doing. We managed to finish the dance, and the oldest girl carried her off as though she hadn't made it through the fight. I must admit we were all mostly crying as we realized she was injured seriously, otherwise she would never be like this. It turns out she had torn her ACL. She is still recovering, I pray for her everyday. Tearing up just remembering it :)

What happened to her? I'm curious,now!