Ballet Talk for Dancers

the 3/4s position

Guest Jhora

We use the 3/4ths position in my pre pointe class, I am not quite sure what this is or how it is supposed to work, any light that could be shed on the subject would be magnificent.

Thanks!

Jhora : confused.gif :

Jhora, à la trois quartes (three-quarter pointe) is an extremely high relevé which is then pushed further over by doing a demi-plié on relevé or some other movement that pushes it past demi-pointe. You can see it used in the reconstruction of Nijinsky's "Le Sacre du Printemps" in the section called "storks", where three very tall girls enter up left and take this relevé in seventh (fourth neutral) position.

You just do it! Don't let go of your ankle when the foot goes past demi-pointe, but keep pushing the instep forward. As to how many posts you have, that what the little counter at the bottom of each post shows. You have 33. Do you want to be activated for Buddy Board privileges?

• Administrators

Okay, Jhora, your Buddy Board privileges have been activated! smile.gif

A la trois quartes is set in a class by one of my teachers (ex-Scottish Ballet), just in a warmup exercise with a few slow tendus and gentle stretches, just to warm and manipulate the feet, encourage the flexibility and strengthen the point.

Am I right in thinking that you aren't en pointe yet? Because these have also been set in a pointe class of mine, going over the shoes. That can be quite uncomfortable if you're not used to it. Miss Leigh or Major Mel- is this a common or acceptable stretch? It certainly does stretch but some find it is quite difficult and strenuous. What are your thoughts? I don't find any problems but other girls certainly do.

Becky

Sure Becky, I even give that one myself in classes. And sometimes TO myself if I'm warming up. If I'm still motivating at 53 (creak, sproing) with it, it can't be TOO harmful! wink.gif

• Administrators

They might, Jhora, and certainly won't hurt! But probably the best thing is just to practice it, slowly and very carefully smile.gif