Ballet Talk for Dancers

ways to go?

Guest Kitri328

Guest Kitri328

I had class from a teacher that I hadn't seen in a long time. Afterwards she talked about summer intensives and something that really made me think. She said New York is not all there is and that there are wonderful companies everywhere. And I was just wondering, if I want to dance professionally is the way to do it getting into a top school? Is it also possible to find the company that you want to dance with, go to their summer program, then to their school, and then try to get into the company? Are more dancers taken from top ballet schools or are just as many taken from a company's school? I'm a little mixed up on how it all works!!! smile.gif

• Administrators

Not surprising that you are mixed up, ABTBallerina, because it works all which ways! eek.gif One of the ways you describe, going to a company school, is certainly a very good way to go. Especially if you go there several summers and they show a lot of interest in you. If you get invited to remain in their program following graduation from high school, then that is a good thing too. But dancers from other top schools have also had success in auditioning for companies. It's very difficult these days, and there is no one sure way to go. But your teacher was very correct in saying there are wonderful companies everywhere and NY is not the only way to go!