Ballet Talk for Dancers

motion sickness and chaines?

Guest Tyraney

Guest Tyraney

i have been having a terrible time with chaines. i know it is a simple, elementary step, but i can not get them. i have worked on spotting, my arms, everything i can think of. i can only do a few clean ones, before they completely fall apart. i end up extreemly dizzy. i also have an extreem case of motion sickness. i have to take medication if i ride in a car for more then a couple hours, and i can not even swing on a swing for very long with out feeling sick. is it possible that the two are related? if so, what can i do about it? i do not want to spend my life unable to do clean chaines eek.gif or is it simply a problem with spotting? thanks for your time!!

Have you thought of seeing an otolaryngologist? (ear/throat doc) Unusual sensitivity to motion can be a signal of several things, the most common being labyrinthitis, an inflammation of the organ of Corti, which tells your brain where "up" is. Any balance or motion sickness problem can have its source in the middle or inner ear, and create very nasty sensations! Believe me, I've been there! frown.gif

Guest Tyraney

i have actually never really payed much attention to it. it has always been just another fact of life. i was just told to take motion sickness medicine before long car rides. so motion sickness is something that can be corrected? thanks!! you just opened a whole new world for me.

A lot of over-the-counter motion sickness pills are diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and can make you drowsy. Many people aren't, however, and it relieves the inflammation on the organ of Corti, so you could give it a try, but don't expect miracles. Also, the body produces a tolerance for diphenhydramine rather quickly, so it may not be a good thing to take regularly. Follow the label instructions until you see the doc.

Guest attitude

Labyrinthitis? - that has got to be the word of the day.

I too suffer from motion sickness and can't travel by plane on my own and without wishing I'd just simply pass out. Sharp turns in a car and just looking at swings leaves me feeling woosy. When I get motion sickness it usually lasts some hours to a day. However, I don't have a problem with chainé turns. So I guess if you get your spotting spot on it might do the trick. There may be some dynamics involved or maybe it's just having the right frame of mind I don't know, but it's possible.

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: attitude ]