Ballet Talk for Dancers

Cechetti Levels and Fouettes

Guest ballet17

Guest ballet17

I read your post on another board. You said Cecchitti level 5 is high intermediate? You said something about fouettes. Do you learn them in that level, or must you be able to perform them to pass into that level? I'm confused. The new studio I'm going to just started taking Cecchitti exams last year. They only offer classes up to level 5, but thier brochure says up to level 6. So I'm assuming that's the highest level of Cecchitti, but no one at that studio has passed the level 5 exam. Well I may be auditioning for level 5 and haven't done a fouette before!!!! I've never even been formaly introduced to one, though I know how they look. They start something like a pirouette only the leg whips straight out in front. I've tried them before, GEESH!!! They are difficult!!!I can only do triple turns. Is that high intermediate for Cecchitti?

Christy

Christy, neither Ms. Leigh nor I studied under the Cecchetti system, but we both took classes from many people who either did work in that method, or were highly influenced by it. The Cecchetti method is divided into eight grades, children's 1-4 and the vocational levels elementary, intermediate, advanced, and diploma. These Higher Grades are sometimes numbered 5-8. I, for one, don't know what the syllabus is for Cecchetti elementary, except I'll bet that it's not all that elementary.

In Cecchetti, it doesn't matter how many, how high, how fast, but how well you do with any step, the way it is in most methods. One perfect single pirouette is worth a thousand so-so triples. And it surprises me that you've not run up against fouettés before. We used to introduce them first at the barre, to break up or end a frappé, rond de jambe en l'air or even petit battement exercise.

• Administrators

No, Christy, I never said that, as I'm not absolutely sure where things are these days in the Amercian Cecchetti Syllabus. I may have said that the preparations for learning fouettés, the action without the turn which is learned at the barre, are introduced in our Level 5. This is not a Cecchetti syllabus school.

In any case, whenever they are taught, they should, as Major Johnson said, be introduced at the barre first in order to learn the correct action. If you are at a level where you are making triple pirouettes en dehors, then I would think you should have learned fouettés!

Guest hesterlover1

I've studied the Cecchetti method throughout my entire dancing career, so maybe I can explain it a bit to Christy. Grades 1-4 are Children's Exams. 5 is Elementary, 6 is Intermediate, and 7 is Advanced. Then there is also a Diploma exam (it's really, really hard!), which can be taken as two parts, A and B, or all together. In grade 5, Elementary, there are no fouetté pirouettes, but you do a preparation for fouettés at the barre. You do double pirouettes in the center, inward from a lunge and outward, but there are no triples in the method until Grade 7. In Grade 6, you do 8 fouettés on half pointe, and in 7, you do 16 on pointe. However, I agree with Miss Leigh and Major Mel...it's definitely more about how well a step is done than how many! I'm working on Grade 7 right now, although I have a lot of trouble with turns--I can only sometimes do a triple turn en dehors--but I think my pirouettes are slowly getting better...I hope... Anyway, I hope this helped you, and if you have any more questions about Cecchetti I'd be glad to answer them for you. biggrin.gif

• Administrators

Thanks, Katie! Very clearly explained, and most helpful smile.gif

• 4 years later...
Guest wiglys

Hi all, I own a studio, started about 3 years ago. I basically teach the Cecchetti method but I am not certified. I would like to find out how to go about getting certified. thanks

I thought of them, then saw that they list no member schools in Oregon. I don't know if the two organizations even talk to one another, but at least they both seem to offer access to the certifying examinations.

• 6 years later...

For the Cecchetti USA Sylabus, There are 10 levels plus diploma. Grades 1-7 are beginning. 8 being intermediate, 9 and 10 advanced. At grade 8 you do fouette releves at the barre. Grade 9, 8 in center. I'm not sure about grade 10, but I believe it is 16 en pointe. Hope this helps.