Ballet Talk for Dancers

New pointe shoes!

Guest Marilia Tsoukia

Guest Marilia Tsoukia

Hello everybody!!! I practise on pointe shoes everyday for 3 hours!!! I bought a new pair of pointe shoes on Christmas.Is it time that I change them and buy a new pair? Every how long should I change my pointes? Thank you!!!

-----------------------

Let silence whisper to you

let love carry you away

let serenity enchant you

let dance embellish your life

let tomorrow be today,

dancing is sent from God...

Marilia, pointe shoes are replaced when they no longer provide the support you need to perform pointe work successfully. You say you practice three hours every day. How much of that is class time, and how much is just practice on your own? If you haven't been introduced to pointe work in class, you shouldn't be using pointe shoes at all!

By the way, you don't have to repeat a post that doesn't seem to post on the index. Just hit "reload" or even the F5 key, and if the post is up, the refreshed screen will reflect that.

Guest ballet17

Wow!!! 3 hours a day!!! That seems like quite a bit of pointe. Is your whole class done on pointe? Are you really advanced? I'm begining level pointe and only do it 3 times a week for 30 minutes. Though I do practice a little at home. Well, for me, I've had my pointes since september and the platform is broken in. I have to be able to feel the floor in pointe. The box is still quite hard. If your practicing like 15 hours a week and I'm practicing 2 hours, including at home practice, and my pointes last me for 8 months..... GEESH!!! You should buy a pair a month.

Christy

Christy, I know you're new, but here's the ground rules for the Young Dancers' Forums: Let the moderators/administrators have a crack at the questions first, then if you have an anecdote or a supplementary question, jump in then. If you notice my previous post, I have a couple questions for Marilia that might shed some more light on this situation.

Guest Marilia Tsoukia

Thank you for your answers!!! I have been introduced to pointe shoes and I still have classes on pointe. I personally work 3 hours a day on my own except the classes I have every Saturday for 3 hours(1.5 hour on pointe). But I don't understand when I should change them. It is not like they don't provide support but I feel that they don't support me as they did during the 2 first weeks from buying them. What should I do?

-------------------

I posted the same topic twice by mistake. I accidentally pressed the button before I realized I hadn't finished my little poem.Sorry!!!

• Administrators

Marilia, pointe shoes are not designed to last very long. The length of time they last depends a great deal on the strength of the shoe to begin with, the strength of the dancer, how often and for how long they are worn, and on the type of surface being used to dance.

If you are not sure if the shoes are good, show them to your teacher and she will help you.

I am a bit concerned about how much you are doing on your own, however. That much practice alone, if you are doing even a little thing incorrectly, could cause a lot of problems in your work. Young dancers and people who are not very experienced in pointe work should probably be spending most of their time on pointe in the classroom under a teachers' close watch!

Guest Marilia Tsoukia

Thank you for your concern but whatever exercises I do in class I do in my own too. Whenever I feel that I am doing something wrong I just stop doing it and wait for my teacher to correct me!!! I love being on pointes and I always try to improve myself!!! This is why I exercise a lot. Thank you for your advice. tongue.gif