Ballet Talk for Dancers

Beginning Ballet Training Late

Guest Ewunia

sugar&spice

just to add to the positive encouragement... i started at 19. i had never danced before and like you i just had a burning desire to start... i started with one class a week and went from there, and now i am just starting pointe. So it CAN happen :( I dance with a lot of late starters and they dance with small local companies or they perform in small performances or something and they are loving it. So if you think it is definitely something you want to pursue go for it!! Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. And you will get discouraged, because chances are you'll be surrounded by girls you're age way more advanced than you and that will be so frustrating, but concentrate on yourself and your own progress and try your hardest not to compare or allow yourself to get too dicouraged! keep working hard!! Good luck with everything and keep us updated on how it's going for you. This board is great!! it's been a life-saver for me :( so don't be a stranger!!

-melissa

[Edited by moderator to remove IM name, which, along with email addresses, are not allowed on the Young Dancers' board.]

Thankyou meliss83!! :(

Congrats on starting pointe too!

I definitely want to learn to dance, even though I know there will be girls who are at a much higher level than me, I'll adore learning each new step of it :(

Thanks so much again!

• 2 months later...

:D Hey Sugar&spice.

My name is Ash, and I too am a late starter. My first class was my first day of college. I knew I wanted to dance, but I didn't know if I would be able to. (I am very overweight so that is a hindrance) Well, I am in my second year. I just finished my first SI, and I was placed in the high intermediate level. I have lost 60lbs., and am finding that my flexibility has greatly increased. I can do both my left and right splits, and am able to kick above eye level for battements.

I just want to encourage you and let you know that there are people like you everywhere that develop their passion for dance a little later than others. Just hang in there and you will do GREAT :D

BYE!!

• 11 months later...

Hi there,

I'm sure this has been posted before, so please bear with me.

I'm 20 years old and going to my first ballet class next week. I've always wanted to learn, but circumstances prevented it when I was young and then travel got in the way.

Anyway, I'm just wondering since I am going to be starting so late, is there any chance at all that I could make a career out of dancing (if I try really really hard)

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

:)

Hi kella, we're glad you've found your way here, and I'm sure you'll get an official welcome later, too! :thumbsup:

I'm sure that later in the day, USA time, you'll get some helpful and direct responses to your question from Victoria Leigh or Mel Johnson as to whether or not there is a realistic chance of your having a chance at becoming a professional ballet dancer, just starting your first ballet class at this age.

In the meantime, I suggest that you might find a very nice "welcome" in the Adult Ballet Students forum on this board where people of all different levels and abilities have formed a very nice group...as a matter of fact there's quite a large UK contingent there, too. :) If you look through that section, you'll see a number of very interesting topics/threads going back pages and pages. :)

Hi, Kella and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! :thumbsup:

I'm afraid that entering ballet at age 20 would place a professional career in this form of dance in the lower order of probabilities, but not quite impossible. Don't let this slow you down, though. Ballet can act as a springboard into other forms of dance, or even other forms of theater! Do join in the discussions on the Adult Students Forums, and especially the Adult Buddy Board. Your contemporaries will have lots of helpful hints and anecdotes.

• 9 months later...

Hi, Im 19 years old and I don't really have any formal ballet training...Im in an independent colorguard and we do a lot of dance, mostly a combination of lyrical, ballet, and modern...I REALLY want to start taking classes for ballet....I am decently flexible...I can't do splits or straddles...my second is decent at best...My achilles tendons aren't developed, so my plies are not to great...my turnout is decent....My point is ok...I guess what I am getting at is: Am i a lost cause? I just want to dance...I am so happy when I dance...I often dance in my living room when no one is home...Or I'll wear my dance sneakers to work and practice tendu and ronde de jambes when no one is around....I just want to improve and to look good while I'm doing it...I don't know....I think i need a nudge(more like a SHOVE) in the right direction...Any advice? Thanks in advance!

~Richard

• Administrators

It's never too late to start ballet, if it is something you really want to do! The most important thing is to find a very good school for your training, or it can be a waste of time. If there is a company in your area with a pre-professional school, check that out. If not, call the nearest company school or University with a good dance department and ask for a recommendation for a teacher/school in your area. You might have to travel a bit to get the quality of training that you need.

Ok...so I took some Initiative and started looking for some good ballet schools in my area...I managed(somehow, by the grace of god) to find the Orlando Ballet School...They only offer half hour classes twice a week for beginners, but its only $8 a class for college students, which thankfully I am...Classes don't start again until June 27, 2006, which is over a month...The teacher is Alfredo Lescaille...I'm not sure what his reputation is...The faculty page doesn't have him listed...but the school seems very reputable...Its only 30 minutes from my apartment, with traffic i think...here is a link, so you can see for yourself...Orlando Ballet School...I would very much like some advice on the quality of the school, etc from someone who knows more about it...Thanks in advance!

~Richard

• Administrators

Richard, the Orlando Ballet has a very good school, but I'm having trouble dealing with the idea of half hour classes. NO one does half hour classes in ballet, and I really can't believe that the Orlando Ballet would have such a thing. A half hour is not even long enough for a proper barre! Double check that schedule and let us know.

I'm sorry, I made a boo-boo...I, for some odd reason, misread the times...They are from 7pm to 8:30 every tuesday and thursday...and they're only $8 per class for college students...that sounds like a real deal to me....but, of course, I don't know too much about these things...Sorry for the mix-up...my bad :blushing:

~Richard

• Administrators

Now that makes a LOT more sense! Very good. :blushing:

• 3 months later...

knock, knock of course you can start now! I was in the nutcracker and there was a guest performer who was a snowflake (it was on pointe) an she was really good. I was having teouble with a step so I asked her for help and we started talking. She was en pointe and she had only started dancing three years earlier. She had started dancing when she was 23!