Ballet Talk for Dancers

Sprained ankle (again)

Guest Katherine Arten

Guest Katherine Arten

Hello~

I know there is another post just like this one, but my ankle is different.

How long does it take a sprain to heal?

I sprained my ankle mildly about two or three weeks and it got better (at least I thought it did) but then on Sunday (the 25th) I think I sprained it again. It was hurting on Monday. I tried to keep off of it, and dance was off for Thanksgiving break, so it got a lot of rest. It snowed a bunch though, and I have to shovel the driveway, and it started to hurt again.

It doesn't hurt all the time, just when I step on it funny.

Thank you!

d_frog cool.gif

Ya say it hoits vhen ya doo dat?

Den, don't doo dat!

First, let me say how sorry I am to hear that you're injured. We've said it before, and we'll say it again, the basic cure for a sprain is RICE - that's Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.

Keep icing the area until one or two days after the acute stage, when it's just been injured, then you can start contrast baths, alternating hot and cold compresses. If the pain keeps up for more than a week, you may have done something which requires a doctor's attention, but a real sprain can sometimes take up to six weeks to heal completely.

Guest Katherine Arten

Hello~

Just to let you know, I went to the doctor and asked about my ankle. Apparently I have pulled a ligament. The doctor told me to do just what Major Johnson told me.

I followed instructions and it helped a lot.

Thanks!

d_frog cool.gif

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: dancing frog ]

Still sorry about the pulled ligament, they can be pesky! But I'm glad we were able to give you some help here. smile.gif