Ballet Talk for Dancers

Archived: 2005-2017 Company Audition Journeys

syr

dancestar and dancinginthesnow, thank you for the information. This is dd's first year making the company audition cattle call journey and this info is very helpful to what to expect.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Momof3darlings

• swanchat

• vagansmom

• balletbooster

Sparky, is it okay to ask what height requirements were mentioned? I know that might vary from year to year, but it still might give an idea of where their thoughts are tending on this. Thanks.

Hi LovesLabor, I cannot remember the exact height he stated but he was looking for taller dancers last year in NY. But as you said it varies year to year and he actually ended up hiring a couple of shorter dancers last season so who knows! :)

Maybe dancing in the snow or someone at the audition this year would be better to ask if they observed a trend in the dancers left at the end?

Thank you all for the information. It is very helpful to see the reality of what it is like out there.

I do have a question, though. We've been told previously by instructors that danced professionally that the desired height is 5'4 to 5'6. That a dancer definitely did not want to be taller than 5'6. However, I seem to be seeing a trend that would negate what we have been told. DD is a little over 5'5. Does that mean from what you have been seeing that 5'5 is now on the shorter side? Or does it not even matter, as you said sparky, that it changes from year to year and company to company? Does height even really play that much of a part in the equation? For those who are out there this year, is there a specific method your DDs use to determine which auditions they go for or are they just going to as many as they can? Are you finding that the cattle calls are just for company positions or are they including offers for trainee, apprentice and corp? DD has another year to go through so I am trying to get a feel for how all this works and how it changes from year to year.

The height requirement seems to change with what is needed that year. If they have short men they will need short women for pas. The females also need to blend with the other corp dancers. Some companies have a wide range of heights and others don't. It is hard to distinguish what the Company height average is. Some websites do list height requirements but most don't.

dancinginthesnow

Height requirements are sometimes listed on companies auditions websites, but many are not. It's really difficult to tell what a company will need in a certain year. Companies that have been known to take shorter dancers, like Boston Ballet, have had a requirement on 5'4''+ for a couple years now. Where as companies that have been known to take taller dancers, like Pacific Northwest Ballet, has hired a couple of shorter dancer in recent years. So, I guess it just really depends on what the director sees and wants at that time.

Twelfth Night- I find that many cattle calls actually offer more trainee/apprentice spots than company positions. At both the Ballet Met and Houston Ballet auditions this weekend, their respective second companies were mentioned heavily.

Momof3darlings

That's alot more than "a question", TwelfthNight. If you don't mind, I'd prefer to keep this thread for those currently auditioning to discuss their experiences and frustrations along the way as it was intended. While most of your questions are answered already in threads on the Career Discussion forum and former Company audition threads dated each year, if you would like to ask your questions in a new thread that asks for help for those auditioning next year, that might start a good discussion for those wanting to gather info for next year.

I met my daughter in San Francisco for audition yesterday with BalletMet. There were about 60 girls and they cut all but one girl and a few boys. She is really feeling defeated and no longer wants to travel to cattle calls in hopes of being the one person they may or may not select. At this point, she is going to put together a DVD and send out but I'm unsure if that is ever effective. She is keeping her fingers crossed she gets promoted into the company where she currently is a trainee, but there are very few spots and it seems unlikely. I feel so bad for her today -

Dancestar,

Sorry to hear that! Its such a tough journey and hard to stay positive! Maybe she should try a smaller company audition, at least to get her confidence back? I think a dvd submission may be good, it certainly doesn't hurt to try. Much less time consuming too! It can be so defeating at those big auditions, but its all a matter of finding the right match for your dd. Has she tried asking her current teacher/director for recommendations of where they may feel would be a good fit?

dancestar, I think it's an excellent idea for your dd to put together a good video. A few years ago when my dd was looking to make a move to a new company she made a simple but good video. It wasn't done professionally - she made it herself. My dd got quite a few audition invitations from that dvd. She landed a spot at a good company. Many companies want to see some video before inviting a dancer for an audition or company class. Also it's helpful if your dd can identify which companies may be a good fit for her and find out about auditions. In some cases she may be able to ask for a company class audition which is generally best. I hope this is helpful. Best of luck!

It is very tough on the audition circuit this year, both here and abroad. Remind her it is not her personally, it just is.

Thank you all for your suggestions - I'm beginning to feel it is hopeless. I will encourage her to put together a DVD then and send it around - her teachers also recommended doing that and sending it to as many as possible. Thanks for your support and help!!!

Momof3darlings

If she has a real desire to dance professionally, as hard as it is, she has to put herself out there. Hopefully the DVD's will work and she can get in some company class auditions. But while she is waiting for those replies to come in, if it is at all possible she still has to audition. It is expensive. But it is, what it is. (cringing at the memory of it)

dancinginthesnow

Did anyone attend the Alberta Ballet audition this past Saturday? I tried to preregister about a week before and got a response saying that the preregistration was now closed. Their website made no mention of a preregistration deadline, but then a line was added saying that the auditions had been closed to any more female applicants- I assume because too many people wanted to come. However, I heard that at the audition, they still allowed walk ups who had not preregistered. This is really frustrating, and I definitely would have attended had I known that would have been the case.

Colorado Ballet at SAB this past Saturday- 160 auditioners. They split barre into three groups with 53-54 each, then made a cut after each barre. The remaining auditioners (about 50 females and 30 males) returned to do center. No other cuts were made. The class was taught by Kathleen Moore, formerly of ABT, while Gil Boggs and Sandra Brown watched. They spoke to a couple of people after the class regarding things on their registration forms, but said they would let us all know in a couple of weeks.

Having done many company auditions at this point, let me just say that it doesn't really get any easier. Every audition you go into, all you can do is hope that someone at the front of the room sees something in you. Dancers kept for one audition will be cut in another, dancers you think are fantastic will be cut and others will be kept. It's all about what the director is looking for at that time and what they see, which might be limited because of the vast number of talented dancers attending the open auditions. Every company and every director has different preferences, so you have to just keep trying.

Momof3darlings

Very healthy perspective dancinginthesnow! Merde' to you!

• Momof3darlings changed the title to Archived: 2005-2017 Company Audition Journeys
  • Momof3darlings pinned this topic