Ballet Talk for Dancers
dressage

Pro Company Hiring Practices

ToThePointe

I'd like to throw something into the pot if I may...

We all know that NYCB was started (or co-started at least with financial help) by a Russian born man, ABT and SFB were started by American born people.

Are there any other U.S. based companies other than NYCB that were started by non-U.S. born people?

I guess I bring this up because if not for the global nature of ballet, we would have never had NYCB. :D

balletrocs2

Great point, tothepointe!

And, speaking of "global nature", at the Stuttgart Ballet in Germany:

There are roughly 60 dancers. Of those, TWO are German born. The others come from more than 25 different countries! The director is Canadian. And, isn't it neat how Stuttgarters embrace their company?

Also, 21 of the 60 spent some time training at The John Cranko School of Stuttgart Ballet. :D It is required that students there learn to speak German.

Marga
State Opera Ballet Berlin

.....5 first soloists (women):

..... 1x Estland (trained in Russia St. Petersburg)

Correction: The first soloist from Estonia trained from childhood at the Tallinn Ballet School in Estonia, graduating in 2002. She trained for only one year, from age 18-19, post graduation, at the Vaganova school in St. Petersburg.

Doubleturn

Northern Ballet Theatre - based Leeds, UK. Tours extensively including seasons in London.

AD - Canadian

Ballet Master - Brazil

Ballet Mistress - USA (married to AD)

3 Principal Artists - all from Japan

1 Senior Artist - UK

3 Leading Soloists - all from UK

3 Soloists - 2 UK, 1 USA

4 Junior Soloists - 2 UK, 1 USA, 1 France

2 Coryphees - 1 UK, 1 China

20 Dancers (corps de ballet) - 12 UK, 2 Italy, 1 France, 1 Australia, 1 Japan, 1 Norway, 1 Canada, 1 Brazil

7 Apprentices (paid position) 4 UK, 1 Germany, 1 France, 1 Spain.

Zampa

Cheetah:

"So that brings up the question - is it the training they are getting, is their a genetic predisposition that some have and others don't, or is is something else? For now, we have a good feel for where DS can start looking!"

I.M.H.O. there is at least a different attitude towards ballet in some European countries, for sure there is in Holland where we are from. In Holland the so called "Big name " company is The National Ballet. This company has 79 dancers (7 eleves/trainees). Only 3 dancers are born and trained (or partial) in the Netherlands. From the 7 eleves, 2 are from the Netherlands. Holland has two "big name" ballet schools/academies and the 7 dancers have been students at one of the two schools.

Since we live in MA, I compared the demographics of MA with the Netherlands: MA has a population of almost 6.5 million, while Holland has 16 million...One of the biggest pre-pro ballet schools in MA is proud to have more than 3000 students enrolled every year. At a certain point, we were about to move back to the Netherlands and I did some research into these schools in the Netherlands. I found out that the audition process was very strict and that there were only a few who got in, but that the amount of students who applied to get in, was also very small...(even students from other countries applied). To make a long story short: only those who are very dedicated, very talented and willing to give up a lot and work very hard, seem to survive (because also at these schools you have a big drop out). Can we compare the training at such a school with the training at a school where over 3000 students are trained? In other words, how can you become a sheep, when there are so many goats around you in class all the time?

Pointe1432

"Ballet Austin:

20 dancers; none are from out of country.

6 came through the apprentice company"

I'm fascinated by this thread and have loved reading these statistics. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to research them!

In addition, I agree that it is wise to provide that margin of error previously mentioned, as I know these BA stats are alittle off.

1 dancer is Canadian, and currently 8 dancers have come through BAII.

And another note: AD is US and Associate AD is Canadian.

How about that ey?

Thanks again to all!

~Pointe1432

"Ballet Austin:

20 dancers; none are from out of country.

6 came through the apprentice company"

I'm fascinated by this thread and have loved reading these statistics. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to research them!

In addition, I agree that it is wise to provide that margin of error previously mentioned, as I know these BA stats are alittle off.

1 dancer is Canadian, and currently 8 dancers have come through BAII.

And another note: AD is US and Associate AD is Canadian.

How about that ey?

Thanks again to all!

~Pointe1432

vagansmom

Pointe1432, did the 8 BAII dancers come through Boston Ballet's school or did they come through outside auditions?

glissade_jete

Ballet Arizona

38 full-time dancers

25 from the USA

2 from Cuba

2 from Ukraine

2 from Scotland

1 from Chile

1 from Taiwan

1 from Japan

1 from Argentina

1 from Canada

1 from Kazakhstan

1 from Albania

**6 were trained, at least partially, at the School of Ballet Arizona.

dancemaven

vagansmom, I know that one of the Boston Ballet II dancers graduated Virginia School of the Arts before he went to Boston. He did not receive his training at the Boston school, although he may have spent some time there before they actually gave him his contract.

Pointe1432
Pointe1432, did the 8 BAII dancers come through Boston Ballet's school or did they come through outside auditions?

I believe all were from auditions, attended BA's summer program and were then offered apprenticeships. Other than that they all came from various schools of various sizes. One from San Francisco Ballet School, one from Virginia School of the Arts, one finished their college degree in dance and pedagogy before their apprenticeship. A couple were also BA trainees (also selected from the summer program).

~pointe1432

Edited by Pointe1432

dancemaven

Okay, I'm getting confused :grinning: --Are the last several posts asking whether Ballet Austin II dancers came through the Boston Ballet school or whether the Boston Ballet II dancers came through the Boston Ballet School? (my post was in reference to a Boston Ballet II dancer, not a Ballet Austin II)

Pointe1432
Okay, I'm getting confused :( --Are the last several posts asking whether Ballet Austin II dancers came through the Boston Ballet school or whether the Boston Ballet II dancers came through the Boston Ballet School? (my post was in reference to a Boston Ballet II dancer, not a Ballet Austin II)

sorry for the confusion. I thought that since vagansmom was asking me that she was asking about Ballet Austin still and the rest was a typo of sorts.

~Pointe1432

dancemaven

Eh, it's probably me that was confused! :( Yours makes more sense. I probably was just reading too fast.

vagansmom

Oops, sorry for the confusion. I was asking about where Boston Ballet gets their dancers.

balletbooster

One current BBII dancer (female) graduated from NCSA last May.