Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

DVD/Videos: Sleeping Beauty

Hi,

I do not currently own any Sleeping Beauty DVDs, but I've been wanting to make a purchase for a long time. I had a few ideas previously, based on my favorite dancers, but now I have another criterion:

I want a DVD that has the pas de trois in the third act, rather than the jewels (diamond, gold, silver, sapphire).

Since I have no way of determining whether or not DVDs have the pas de trois prior to purchase, I figured if I asked here you would know.

What I'm asking is if anybody has seen or owns any Sleeping Beauty DVD if they could please help me compile a list of which DVDs have it and which don't, by stating if a version has the pas de trois (2 girls, one guy) of Act 3 or the jewels (4 girls) pas de quatre. Thank you!

Here's what I know: The Margot Fonteyn version has pas de trois, and the Paris Opera with Aurelie Dupont has the Jewels.

Hope to hear from all as soon as possible!

I have the 1989 Kirov version of Sleeping Beauty, with Larissa Lezhnina, Farukh Ruzimatov and Yulia Makhalina dancing. Their version has the Jewels in it.

I have yet to see any versions with the Pas de Trois though.

Hope this helps!

Send an e-mail to Dancebooks (UK site) and ask them - the people who run that site are a mine of information and extremely helpful. If there's a DVD with it on they'll know!

I have the Australian Ballet version, starring Chistine Walsh & David Ashmole, and it has the pas de trois- male and two females dance, male, female 1, male, female 2, all three dance together.

Unfortunately it is currently only availbale as part of a box set, which is probably also not the right region/settings for you (http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=740180).

The Kirov Sleeping Beauty with Kolpakova, Berezhnoi, and Kunakova has Jewels.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Australian Ballet version, starring Chistine Walsh & David Ashmole, and it has the pas de trois- male and two females dance, male, female 1, male, female 2, all three dance together.

Unfortunately it is currently only availbale as part of a box set, which is probably also not the right region/settings for you (http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=740180).

I recently bought a copy that is not part of a box set but it is for region 4

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, whetherwax!! :)

Please introduce yourself on the Welcome Forum! That way you can be officially welcomed by our lovely welcome lady!!!

Have fun posting! :yes:

The Royal Ballet version which is with Viviana Durante as Aurora as a pas de quatre. A Golden Boy + Silver, Sapphire and Diamond girls.

I've heard that the Royal Ballet will soon be releasing a new version of Sleeping Beauty with Alina Cojocaru as Aurora -- This version has the One Boy + 2 Girls that you are looking for.

Apparently coming out in mid-2008, if you could wait that long!

Fish