Ballet Talk for Dancers

Teasing

pbs

Sadly, both children will have her for chorus next year.

On the very positive side, I have to give big kudos to the advanced dancers at our studio. Last weekend we had an in-studio dress rehearsal, which was the first time he was in tights with no shorts. Some of the little girls and their mothers were making comments like "where are his pants? What is he doing here? Boys don't dance", etc. (The pants comment was perfectly reasonable from a 5 year old girl, not her mother) I did not even know the "big" girls were listening, but suddenly, he was surrounded by them, all telling him how awesome he looked, how he had tights just like a superhero, how every one would love watching him. Of course, once these girls made their approval plain, there were no more comments from the younger set or their moms. The advanced dancers had a million things to do, but still took the time to support him.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clara 76

• cheetah

• Mel Johnson

• Francesca

HuckleberryDawg
The advanced dancers had a million things to do, but still took the time to support him.

I think that's lovely! Hooray for those dancers!

I agree that it's perfectly natural for a five year old girl who doesn't see many boy dancers to question where his pants were (I have a DS and I'm still kind of giggling at the question!) or why he was there; but, my goodness, you would hope the moms would have known better! That is kind of appalling. Those are the same moms who are going to be desperately seeking SIs that offer partnering when their daughters are older because there won't be enough boys at their home studio and chances are they aren't going to remember how they (probably not on purpose) made boys feel when they were young.

I think it's great that your grandson had a good time and enjoyed his recital!

Be sure to remember moments like those....he will need them to think about in the future.

• 1 month later...

I just need to brag on the wonderful artistic director at the Ballet Guild of the Lehigh Valley. My 9 year old son just loves dancing and she is so supportive of him. There are several boys there and she really works with them. She took them to a local school districts arts day and had them do an exhibition. All the middle school kids were applauding these boys when the exhibition was done because the AD really highlighted the strength and agility it took to dance. It is such a blessing to have great leadership.

Mel Johnson

BGLV has a long history of having male students, and an appreciable number of them who went on to professional careers.

I did not even know the "big" girls were listening, but suddenly, he was surrounded by them, all telling him how awesome he looked, how he had tights just like a superhero, how every one would love watching him. Of course, once these girls made their approval plain, there were no more comments from the younger set or their moms. The advanced dancers had a million things to do, but still took the time to support him.

I think thats brilliant and quite typical in my experiance of older girls at my sons ballet school, he once got teased by a couple of little girls from his class, he is the only boy, same thing happened, the older girls aged 9-11 were all really supportive and put a stop to it there and then! :unsure:

I'm happy to hear that your boys are getting support from the older girls!!! :unsure: At least they have figured out how valuable these young men are.

• 6 months later...

My son is 9 and has been dancing and figure skating since 4. When someone asks him why he isn`t playing hockey, he just looks them in the eye and says why would i want to hang around with a bunch of smelling boys when I can be surrounded by pretty girls``. He also tells the kids that ballet will make hime strong and that football players do it to improve their game. I`m happy that so far -no issues but I`m sure that day will come.

Welcome, then!!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how narrow-minded some people truly are. I hope your son can avoid the teasing, but prepare him for it just in case. Tell him to never let anyone disrespect him, and to stand up for himself.

• 1 month later...

My son was taunted and teased when he was younger. I told him that the bullies were just jealous and that his real friends would support him. I basically told him that if he was doing something he loved to do his friends would understand that that was part of who he was and would be cool with it. He has since passed this advice on to younger boy dancers, so it must have helped