Ballet Talk for Dancers
KarenD

Your point of view?

Aisadora

I sure wish I could talk to you personaly isamaa, since you know my DD and I am sure have a good sense of both programs that are giving me pause. I know comparing programs is a "no no" on BTFD, and I understand why, but I must say I wish there was a bit more concrete info about the programs. The web sites of each program don't really have much info either. Sorry, everyone for my rambling, I guess I'm still obsessing and those dead lines are looming!

Edited by Aisadora

Cordelia

Of the two programs that you are leaning towards, does your DD have a preference for one over the other? If so, look closely at why she favors one over the other. Read everything available on this website about the programs. Hopefully, you can take comfort in knowing that there are many others out there right now trying to make the which summer SI decision.

3dancefam

I agree with 2marzipans. If you get into a prominent school the options will be afforded your DD. I do think a "big name program" is definitely a plus though. As Isamaa pointed out the contacts can be very beneficial and most big name programs provide a high level of training since their name is attached to it. Finding the best fit for your DD should be a top priority. Does she already have any programs she's leaning toward from past experience?

isamaa
I sure wish I could talk to you personaly isamaa, since you know my DD and I am sure have a good sense of both programs that are giving me pause. I know comparing programs is a "no no" on BTFD, and I understand why, but I must say I wish there was a bit more concrete info about the programs. The web sites of each program don't really have much info either. Sorry, everyone for my rambling, I guess I'm still obsessing and those dead lines are looming!

I'm not sure who you are but I would be happy to talk to you. I'm sure you could get my number from someone. If I could PM you I would but you don't have enough posts. Any thing I can do to help I will be more than happy to. If you know who I am then you also know I speak from experience.

Aisadora

We are looking at Boston and Houston currently, and still waiting for news about two other programs. Thank you all again for being so helpful.

Edited by Aisadora

isamaa

Both are outstanding programs, and both have year round programs. If you are seriously considering year round the expense is also another thing to look into. As far as training goes the level is important too. If you have any previous experience with either then you at least have something to go on. Other wise in either one of the forums their are numerous people who have experience and can give you a well rounded idea of both for comparison purposes. As you said the clock is ticking and anything I can do to help I will be more than happy to.

PS only 4 more posts and you can PM (I think). :yes:

Aisadora

Thank you , that is helpful. I have been reading both threads( Houston and Boston) as well as archives and also posted questions on Houston SI thread.

2marzipans

Aisadora -

Your dd has excellent choices. Since you are thinking ahead to year-round training, think about how far these schools are from your home. Is one in driving distance? If it is, that will save you a considerable amount when your daughter goes back and forth from vacations. As far as looking way ahead(to company audition time), Boston has an advantage since it is close to NYC. Many company auditions come to NYC. I think whatever she chooses, you should not worry. She can take her experience with that school this summer, and go from there. You don't even know yet if she will want to stay at the program she attends this year. The best of luck to you!

Aisadora

Thank you 2mazipans , you are right and I am considering all of this. True that she may not want to stay, and it would also be hard to let her go , but we are not so happy with how things are going this year at our home program, that is partly why I am looking at the year around aspects of each program. Seems that both programs have great reps. and training.

Edited by Aisadora

isamaa

Hi Aisadora,

I think you can pm now but you need to enable your pm option. 2marzipan has a very good point. Regardless of which school you choose the training will be good and also looks good on a resume. You just need to decide which is more do-able.

dancemaven

isamaa, it takes 30 posts to reach the PMing stage. Aisadora is over half-way there, though. :)

isamaa
isamaa, it takes 30 posts to reach the PMing stage. Aisadora is over half-way there, though. :)

OOPS! :blushing: Wishful thinking.

Aisadora

I am working on it . :) I have been lurking for so long and this board has been to great ... full of information. However, posting has been even better. I really feel supported and greatful for everyones helpful advise.

Jumper
We are looking at Boston and Houston currently, and still waiting for news about two other programs. Thank you all again for being so helpful.

Hello Aisadora {and everyone else :wink: }, as you can see I'm new here and I was reading this thread with great interest. May I ask you where it is your daughter wishes to go? What exactly are you looking for in a program?

Aisadora

I think she is most intrested in Houston at the moment, but we are still waiting for one more audition result. It seems that every year we have different considerations in choosing a program. When she was younger, my priorities were supervision, fun and great training! (in that order)

Of course those are still priorities.