Ballet Talk for Dancers

Nervous about class and how to dress

luvsmusicluvs2dance

Anyone ever see one of those traditional ballet sweaters...pink...in plus sizes? I know the sleeves would lack about say 4 inches for me but if one got around me it would be great to wear while driving to and from class...and not sweat up my regular jackets on the way home.

I have yet to be cold in a class since I came back to class 3 years ago.

Laschwen

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rshevin

• luvsmusicluvs2dance

• ripresa

• Laschwen

Laschwen, they are VERY popular in "regular" clothes these days! I'd suggest hitting up the local mall instead of a dancewear catalog. I know we've talked about the plus size dancewear selection in the past, so there's no sense in my giving you links. :-) There's always the option of a nice, lightweight zip/button-up too, which you may be able to find on sale this time of year.

grrr...sorry, I tired to post a link, it didn't link to the right page, and couldn't find the garment again. :shrug:

It was a Bloch overall (baggy) from discount dance that looked OK, and was cheap. U1207 by Bloch® . Wondering if it's comfy :grinning:

You might want to take your ballet slippers and scuff them up a bit, so they don't look new. When I was studying in Europe long ago it seemed that the trashier looking the outfit, the more advanced the student was assumed to be. I always figured this was originally an NYC thing. Though recently, I noted that every rehearsal I had with a former NYCB dancer, her outfits were always quite new looking and spotless, so?

Perhaps you can take your cue from what the teacher and the more long term students are wearing-

Lampwick,

Discount Dance is pretty annoying when you're trying to do links. The only real way to do it is to right click over the image and choose "view image." This will bring you to the internet address of just that image. You can copy and paste THAT address to show someone what you're talking about, but of course it looses any and all ordering information for discount dance. I think this is what you're talking about.

http://www.discountdance.com/image/250x300/u1207.jpg

It wasn't listed correctly on the website. I went to warmups - overalls and only the child size was listed. When I clicked the child, there was a link to the adult version. Hope that helps!

Heehee.. I notice in the beginning ballet class, most ladies are wearing pink tights, black leotards.. and some tied their ballet slipper knot in a nice ribbon shape (I use to do that ribbon knot too :).

but in the int/adv levels, people are wearing black tights and colorful camisoles.

I remember it was a big epiphany for me when I realized I could just wear tight speghetti tops, which is more convenient then leotards for everyday use. I still mostly use leos, but it's nice to vary up the clothing once in a while.

Edited by ripresa
remember it was a big epiphany for me when I realized I could just wear tight speghetti tops

I'm sorry, seeing other dancer's midriffs because they're wearing a streetwear top instead of a leotard is NOT something I enjoy. It's an imposition on other dancers, because I feel I must look away if I happen to be looking your direction whenever you raise your arms or do a backbend.

Related is the person I know who insists on wearing black tights over underwear, no shorts or skirt or anything, and no leotard. Sorry, seeing her underwear under the tights is absolutely tacky; especially when she raises her arms and it becomes clear that her underwear is not a leotard.

Please, please, consider modesty in the way you dress in class.

My classes have always been informal as regards dress. I always wear black leggings, a tight black top (nothing that shows a lot of skin, I don't particularly want my midriff on show!), and a tight fitting black shrug (the kind that just looks like sleeves) if I feel cold. I keep my hair pinned back and don't wear any jewellery. I would change to wearing black leotard and pink tights if the teacher told me to, though.

I've noticed a few of the other adult beginners at one of the classes I attend wearing slippers with ribbons attached - like you would see on pointe shoes. Is there any good reason for this? I've noticed, too, that some of them have their knot tied in a bow on their achilles tendons - doesn't that put the achilles at risk of injury?

remember it was a big epiphany for me when I realized I could just wear tight speghetti tops

I'm sorry, seeing other dancer's midriffs because they're wearing a streetwear top instead of a leotard is NOT something I enjoy. It's an imposition on other dancers, because I feel I must look away if I happen to be looking your direction whenever you raise your arms or do a backbend.

I wear a long enough top that it covers my midriff quite well. Not to mention my black *solid* tights raise pretty high. I do have a sense of modesty, or I would wear those sheer pink tights more often.

Just because some of us choose to wear street clothes, doesn't mean we don't recognize what can be tacky. Most folks in my Jazz class wear "street" tops, and they look just as good as the ballet students, just a different style. And they do not look indecent in them.

If there was a class dress code, it would be a different thing, and as I mentioned in my post, most time I wear leos anyways. But there are times when I don't (like time of the month, convenience or laundry issues or just chance of scenery.)

Edited by ripresa
M

I've noticed a few of the other adult beginners at one of the classes I attend wearing slippers with ribbons attached - like you would see on pointe shoes.

Maybe these are demi-pointes?

I've seen students from Europe and Asian countries with ribbons on flats. I don't see any reason why NOT, unless they are tied on the achilles of course.

I wear a few layers in class, but generally try to be within a classical look. Lately, I've been in a unitard and some type of shorts or yoga pants. I'm comfortable performing in just a leotard, and wouldn't care if a teacher required just a leo and tights. I just like to be a bit more "comfy" during class if I can. My perogative as an adult:) Teachers seems to have no problem evaluating my technique no matter what I'm wearing. LOL!!

I like wearing earring in class, and don't see any danger in them, as long as the hair is secured. IMO, they look pretty, and don't interfere with the classical aesthetic.

Heehee.. I notice in the beginning ballet class, most ladies are wearing pink tights, black leotards..

I'm one of those ladies, and I guess for me I like honoring a tradition that I never got to be a part of as a child/teen. Maybe I'll feel like I've earned the right to dress down when my technique has improved to the point where I look like a dancer and not a student. :shrug:

Heehee.. I notice in the beginning ballet class, most ladies are wearing pink tights, black leotards..

I'm one of those ladies, and I guess for me I like honoring a tradition that I never got to be a part of as a child/teen. Maybe I'll feel like I've earned the right to dress down when my technique has improved to the point where I look like a dancer and not a student. :shrug:

For me it's the opposite way round - I don't feel that I'm good enough to 'wear the uniform'. I wonder whether it wouldn't be better if adult classes just asked for black leotards and pink tights. It would let complete beginners feel 'part of the tradition', as you say, that they never got to be part of as a child - and ensure that everyone was dressed appropriately.