Ballet Talk for Dancers

if your feet are flexible, how do you prevent them from tipping over

kkheartsballet

In pas de bourrée suivi?

Any advice? Oh, and I'm sorry about the spelling! :)

(Moderators' note - spelling fixed and replaced from attempted title, which was shortened by board limits on title length. - Mr. Johnson)

• Administrators

If you are talking about going too far over the platform of the shoe, that is a matter of placement and strength. It comes from many years of work that prepares you for pointe work. From your other post, it sounds to me like you have not been taking ballet classes. If that is the case, then you should not even be in pointe shoes until you have been back in classes for quite a long time, and, you need a number of classes per week of ballet technique, a MINIMUM of three one and a half hour classes per week, for the year before you start pointe work. And that is assuming that your prior training was enough to get you to the level to be preparing for pointe work. Going over too far in the shoe is usually an indication of working incorrectly.

I had the same problem two years ago. I was getting frustraited when myself because i couldnt stay on top of my box and i kept rolling over. I talked to my teachers about it and they told me to get a theraband and gave me some exersizes to do. Once of my teachers also told me to lay on my back and draw out the ABC's with my feet and to make the letters as big as you can. You could also be going over box if your box or shank are dead. Not too much after this I started seeing improvement and now i stay right on top of my box and im not afraid of rolling over. I hope this helps you out like it did for me. :yes:

• Administrators

Special exercises are fine, like working with a theraband, but still, there is nothing that replaces the years of work in technique classes to build the needed strength for pointe work.

I agree with the above posters. Sometimes I can go too far over, but it only happens in terribly dead shoes, that are mushy and falling apart. Because it never happens with normal shoes, I am hoping that it is not a problem with technique, and only and indicator that it is time to get new shoes. When it gets really bad my friends make me retire that pair!

• Administrators

Young dancers, I appreciate your experiences, but I really want to hear back from the original poster before this goes any further. She had posted in another topic somewhere that she just started back after 6 years, and that is why I am questioning the readiness for pointe, and not dealing with the reasons or answers yet.