Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Schools in Texas - North Houston

deuxballerines,

Thank you for your very thorough list of suggestions. They all make a lot of sense and I think it confirms many things I have been thinking. We are definitely looking for a true preprofessional school where the emphasis is ballet. I appreciate your help!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• debby

• nmp1014

• gra2wish

• dancingmeghan

debby,

I don't think I have enough posts to PM yet, but hopefully I am getting close. I would love to talk to you and ask some questions about whether people carpool from the Woodlands to HB or what types of solutions are available out there. I don't want to ask you too many personal questions online either though!

debby,

I don't think I have enough posts to PM yet, but hopefully I am getting close. I would love to talk to you and ask some questions about whether people carpool from the Woodlands to HB or what types of solutions are available out there. I don't want to ask you too many personal questions online either though!

There are some carpools from the Spring and from the Cypress area not from the Woodlands. I am the only crazy one to go that far at the moment. I just realized that you have to have I think like 30 Posts to PM.

I have to second the option of International Ballet of Houston. Richard and Jill are a teaching force worth looking at.

My daughter danced with the Paynes last summer at HB and she loved them. We are definitely considering their studio. I have also heard about the d'Altons. Can anyone provide info about how to get into that program (is it by audition), where they are located and what age you need to be to be considered?

Thanks for all the input. I don't know how I'd figure anything out without this site.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is on the other side, but it's still a Houston area option: Clear Lake Area - Royal Academy of Fine Arts (aka as RAFA). It's associated with the Bay Area Houston Ballet and Theatre.

• 1 year later...

Visit several programs, as many as you are willing to consider to find best fit. North Houston has many to choose from. Those with ballet per-pro focus include Payne, IBH, American Academy, Robert Underwood's Studio of Dance and Ballet Center Houston. My DDs are at Studio of Dance. Mr. Underwood's credentials and approach are excellent. Offers a optional per pro ballet company and competition team. They work closely with Open World Dance Foundation too. Very training and technique focused. There are Dancers from "competition" programs at other schools that take ballet classes here. Based in classical ballet but offers other styles -jazz, tap...

• 4 weeks later...

Artisan School of Dance is a pre professional in North Houston with several former Houston Ballet dancers as instructors. It also offers an annual summer intensive with an impressive list of guest instructors. Small class sizes and individual attention.

• 7 months later...

Another School in the North Houston area is Rowland/ Ballard in Kingwood, TX. They have a pre-professional company Kingwood Dance Theatre (3 levels). They perform the Nutcracker (26th year 2013), spring performance (story ballet), Hobby Center Gala, plus RDA for the senior company.