Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Doubleturn

Elmhurst School of Dance--Birmingham, England

Emily's Mom
I agree with all of the above - the school tries to make the auditions an enjoyable occasion even for those who do not get selected. One thing Elmhurst does which I have never encountered elsewhere is to invite the parents in for the last few minutes of the audition. The panel has already seen all the work and they just repeat some of the enchainments.

Wow! What a great idea - all schools should do this. Lets the parents know straight out what the skill level is in the group and really corrects the expectation level imo of the parents questioning who got what role and who did or did not get placement.

Edited by Emily's Mom

britdance

I agree Emily's Mom. Elmhurst is a truly lovely school in many ways and making a real attempt to outgrow some of the more authoritarian/secretive aspects of "traditional" ballet training. They treat the children as individuals and with a respect which I sometimes see lacking in other schools. If I had known more about them when my daughter was auditioning at 11 I would have seriously considered making Elmhurst our first choice.

Many ballet schools sadly seem to have an attitude of "what can you bring to us?" rather than considering that they owe a serious duty towards student dancers and their families. Of course this is a horribly overcrowded profession so for the top schools with hundreds of applicants it's a buyer's market, but they shouldn't forget that they are dealing with children.

balletbroke

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear whether or not you have made it through to the final round of auditions. Do you need to wait until after all the preliminary auditions have taken place?

Do Elmhurst have a 'look' of child that they prefer? Have heard that they take children with a more athletic physique than RBS.

britdance

I can't remember how long the wait was for us I'm afraid, but I seem to recall that it was at least a matter of several weeks and was agonising! Re body types - I don't think you will get a definitive answer. The White Lodge girls certainly seem to me to look more homogenous than other schools (very slim build, small heads etc.) but I really think it's hard to give any more than an impressionistic answer of what different schools are looking for. They just seem to know it when they see it.

balletbroke

Just seen that they have added a January date to the audition schedule so will be a very long wait..........................

ifnotwhynot

Last year, the results of each preliminary audition were sent out within a week. They do not seem to take a set number to the final, rather all of those that they consider worth a second look. May not be the same this year, though!

As far as "the look" goes, there does seem to be more variety of shapes and sizes at Elmhurst than there may be at other schools.

zizza

I also suggest you go to the "Doing Dance" section of the ballet.co website forum - lots of parents there and old threads that should help you.

We've had experience of White Lodge and Elmhurst and loved them both in different ways! But Elmhurst have certainly put more "effort" into developing my son as an individual. We have just been talking about how much help he's had from the physios recently (incidentally, they have a new physio and are setting up a unit as a centre of excellence at the school). My son has always known that his flexibility was an issue, but no help was forthcoming at WL whereas Elmhurst have been fantastic at getting to the bottom of it and working with him to improve.

Desmond Kelly is determined to make the school a truly "classical" school. They have great teachers and a wonderful atmosphere.

Good luck to everyone sending off applications, whether for lower or upper school - I'm really glad we're not having to do any this year :)

heleen

this is off topic,but when I was looking around on their website,I came across the fees that are charged for studying at the school.Are those prices what you are all used to?Because I was realy surprised and was wondering how most of the parents managed to pay that amount each year again.

zizza

I haven't looked that closely at the fees to see if they're up-to-date, but they'll be about right - and I have no idea how anyone affords to pay the full fees :) . Fortunately there are quite a lot of "scholarships" available - have a look at that page and you get an idea of how much you'd pay if your child was awarded an MDS place (it's based purely on your income with a small allowance for other children). I'm not sure how many MDS places there will be this year - the last I heard they were up to about 18-20 places per year (on average). It's still a lot of money though - and it is a struggle.

I believe there are also some bursaries available, but I don't know much about those.

You'd probably find some more info on this by posting on the ballet.co forum.

robj2009

With regards to the fee's I'm hoping that my daughter will get a MDS place / scholarship. The fees are an awful lot but luckily my daughter is understanding that if she does not get a MDS place / scholarship then she wont be able to attend. She will just have to continue to study with her current dance teacher. Once she is 16 there are so many more options available to her. In the mean time I'm hoping for a HUGE lottery win!!! :)

Zizza Thank you for your post re the number of MDS places that were given lat year as I was just about to post to ask that question today.

zizza

As it's now time to send off applications for upper school places in the UK again - here's the website for Elmhurst:

http://www.elmhurstdance.co.uk/

It's a wonderful school going from strength to strength with Desmond Kelly as Artistic Director and a very strong acting head.

balletbroke

Apparantly you hear about the results of the preliminary audition with 10 days.