Ballet Talk for Dancers

Men's fitted shirts

Canna10

Academy still offers their BCG shirts as mentioned above. I recently purchased a bunch online after reading about them here!

A question - after a while they can get dingy. I am hesitant to try bleach. I found a thread which recommended presoaking in vinegar. Any other suggestions?

Edited by MarinMomInTX
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clara 76

• MarinMomInTX

• Canna10

• slhogan

The Academy shirts disappeared for a while then returned to the racks with an updated style that resembles Under Armour shirts. They are inexpensive and easy to buy, but I've found that they thin out and get yellow very quickly. I think of them as being somewhat disposable as they only seem to last a semester before needing to be replaced. The Under Armour and Nike brands are much more expensive but do seem to last longer. However, this isn't always a good thing when you're dealing with young boys who tend to spill things on their shirts.

These days, my son wears the Motionwear white shirt. http://motionwear.com/Men-s-Cap-Sleeve-Fitted-T-Shirt-7207.html It's Houston Ballet's uniform shirt for the upper-level boys, and I've been very pleased with how thick and sturdy the fabric is.

Thanks, Slhogan. I may try one of the Motionwear shirts for him, although the price point is higher, I am not a fan of disposable clothing! Do you get the cotton or silkskyn?

We use the silksyn. I've never tried vinegar on the Academy BCG shirts. That might work. I have tried bleach, but it just thinned it out and ruined a lot of the lycra material.

• 5 weeks later...

I purchased the Alo shirts that Momof3darlings mentioned. I got both black and white for his SI this past summer and they have held out really well thus far! The white shirt does have light gray stitching and the black has blue stitching but it isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it. My DS is a small frame guy and the small fit him snug but not too tight. He especially likes the sleeve length and fit. Oh and it also shipped very quickly. Hope that helps.

And a belated thank you to you, Dance_Mami and Momof3darlings for the Alo shirt suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

We found some awesome tight fitting white shirts at Target. They are Hanes Power Slim athletic fit T-shirts. They are available on Amazon as well as in most Target stores. They are around $10 per shirt. They wash and wear wonderfully! They also come in Black as well. Below is a link to the black shirts but they come in white as well.

<http://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Classics-2-Pack-Power-T-Shirt/dp/B00A7QUGXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422057199&sr=8-1&keywords=hanes+power+slim>

Hydrogen Peroxide with detergent of choice has been our method of keeping white dance shirts white. Very cheap, too.

How much hydrogen peroxide do you use per full load? My son's shirts are getting a dingy gray, lol.

About a quarter to half a cup, depending. I buy the biggest bottles I can at Sam's Club. I will say I use stain remover (like Shout) every third or fourth time on the underarms and let that soak for a bit.
Edited by tentative
  • 2 weeks later...

We've found that cheap vodka works well. I pour it in a small spray bottle (some dilute it with water, but I haven't) and after the shirts are washed in delicate and hung to dry - I spray the underarm area and any other spots that look discolored. Has really prolonged the life of the shirts.