Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest dad

School of American Ballet

LisaRG

Hello,

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here who knows if a dancer 14 or over can stay in the dorms if they come from another state that is within commuting distance? And if so does the SAB address now give that dormer the ability to attend the public performing arts school -PPAS (not sure if this is correct).

Thanks,

L

learningdance

LisaRG

I don't think so.  DD has friends from CT and NY who commute. There is some type of rule. I don't know what the mileage is? I do think, however, that it might be less difficult to get in if you don't need a dorm spot. When DD did it several years ago, they said that they only had about 60 dorm spots.

You can ask. 

DanceMumNYC

Hi Lisa, to my understanding, any student who lives out-of-state can apply for housing. Those residing in NY can also apply given they live too far to commute daily (what I got was that this means outside of NYC, such as upstate). Housing is limited, however, so scholarship students are usually given rooms first. The remaining rooms seem to be given based on age and level of difficulty to commute. 

In order to attend a NYC public school, the student would have to provide proof of a NYC address. So, yes, the student would be able to attend PPAS, as many SAB students have done for years. Some also attend LaGuardia, which has a better reputation for academics & is much closer (within walking distance) to SAB. Another option many SAB families choose is PCS (Professional Children’s School), which is also in walking distance, but note that this one is private & therefore costs tuition. 

LisaRG

Thank you Dance Mom.  We live in NJ very near to NYC.  I was just dreaming that if my DD was promoted to a level where she cannot attend her normal high school, she might be able to dorm at SAB, which would allow her to attend PPAS.  PPAS unlike LaGuardia, fits the child’s academics around the dancers ballet lesson schedual.  I like my DD new high school in NJ which offers dance, but I am a dreamer, and if by some chance.......she is promoted, and ballet is still her passion....well like I said, a mother and daughter can dream so I wanted a plan.

Thank you!

Lisa