Ballet Talk for Dancers

School of American Ballet

Yes, the school still holds the September audition. They didn't have one this past September because all their classes were filled to capacity in accordance with COVID guidelines and thus couldn't take in more students. The audition is open to everyone except for students who've attended that year's summer course before audition as those student's are assessed for WT during the intensive. I'm not sure how many students are selected from the audition. I think it would depend on how many people are in the levels currently and how many they've taken from the summer course. I'm sure it can really differ year to year.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• napnap

• learningdance

• buzzandmoo

• HMLK

I think the only difference between the fall audition and the SI auditions are that SAB rarely, if ever, has housing for students auditioning in the fall.  So it is not a great option unless you have housing figured out.

• 1 month later...

DD, 15, is going for the summer.  Would love to attend year round. Hate to ask but we can't help thinking if placement is a guarantee til she is a senior, or do year round risk getting "cut" from the program each year.  Do they keep the upper division students in the program till they are finished and audition for college and companies?

DD 15 will be attending this summer and would like to be considered for year round. I don't know what to expect if she is invited to join the year round as far as year to year stability.    Question for year round program.  Do students stay for the whole high school years?  I mean, are their spots quaranteed till they graduate or do they risk being eliminated from the program year to year?

Realize my first post was posted after I thought it wasn't  sorry for repeating myself.  Admin please feel free to delete the first one.  Newbie here.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know when an SAB SI student is asked to join the school for Winter Term? Is it during the SI or after? Thanks very much. 

Thank you, mom2. I’m a newbie and still searching. Can’t seem to tailor searches well enough to find even the SAB SI thread but I’ll keep trying! Practice makes better. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how many children are cast in the NYCB nutcracker each year, and how the casting decisions are made?

You should watch SAB's recent Disney series. I think it's called Pointe? Anyhow, it follows the auditioning/casting of the children in their Nutcracker production. It will give you an excellent view of how it works and the numbers involved.

6 hours ago, LucyIO said:

Does anyone know how many children are cast in the NYCB nutcracker each year, and how the casting decisions are made?

The Disney show did a good job of showing it. For several years (a while ago now) my child was in the show and here is how it worked: early in the fall they cast about 120 kids (two casts), chosen from specific eligible levels at the children's division. The children's ballet masters hold a series of casting sessions to which kids are invited based on their interest, class level and height (quite strict height requirements), and the 2 casts are put together. Not all the students who want to perform get to be in Nutcracker. Each cast does about 24-25 shows. Its a big family commitment but a magical experience for the kids who get to do it. 

16 hours ago, 5uptown said:

The Disney show did a good job of showing it. For several years (a while ago now) my child was in the show and here is how it worked: early in the fall they cast about 120 kids (two casts), chosen from specific eligible levels at the children's division. The children's ballet masters hold a series of casting sessions to which kids are invited based on their interest, class level and height (quite strict height requirements), and the 2 casts are put together. Not all the students who want to perform get to be in Nutcracker. Each cast does about 24-25 shows. Its a big family commitment but a magical experience for the kids who get to do it. 

Thank you! Any recollection of what the height requirements are for the younger kids?

On 4/23/2021 at 9:03 AM, LucyIO said:

Thank you! Any recollection of what the height requirements are for the younger kids?

I want to say it was under 5' to even be eligible to come to the casting, but that there are different requirements for different roles (some are shorter than that). Its been a while though, maybe someone with more recent experience can chime in. My kid is tall, so he was pretty young when he aged out (he was 10 the last year he could attend the casting), but he loved doing it.