Ballet Talk for Dancers

School of American Ballet

We are in the same situation this summer with our DD. From experience I would say just to wait and see if they contact you to see if they offer your dancer a spot in year round. Both of my dancers have attended multiple summer courses at SAB, and it seems like if they want your dancer to attend they will let you know. I know personally of dancers that were accepted by week 2, 3, 4 and the last day of the intensive and also dancers who received invitations after the summer course ended. This is our experience over the past 9 years. I do feel like this year may be different since the classes are much smaller than usual years, but who knows how many they are inviting per level? I also feel like they made it pretty clear that all of the dancers will be considered regardless of expressing interest. Therefore, I personally wouldn't reach out to the faculty or administration.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• napnap

• learningdance

• buzzandmoo

• HMLK

Thank you so much for your information. I had no clue they would reach out even after the summer intensive is over. I’m sure this year there is many different variables going into their decisions. I just wish I could put my mommy heart at easy, knowing what to do with getting her the apartment etc etc. I totally agree with not reaching out. We will ride this ride with everyone else! 

Edited by Siddoway
On 7/14/2021 at 5:29 PM, Siddoway said:

Thank you so much for your information. I had no clue they would reach out even after the summer intensive is over. I’m sure this year there is many different variables going into their decisions. I just wish I could put my mommy heart at easy, knowing what to do with getting her the apartment etc etc. I totally agree with not reaching out. We will ride this ride with everyone else! 

Thank you for posting & starting the conversation regarding Winter Term invitations. I’m curious if any invitations were extended this week, as far as you know. I’m sure there are plenty of parents on this thread equally curious/anxious about updates :). 

Yes, I know that invitation have been extended this week. I know they started inviting students after the first week. They haven’t invited anyone from my DD level VIII. The girls are all wondering if any of them will be invited at this point. I’ve tried to encourage them to keep an open mind, and keep working as hard as they did day one! Which is easier said than done. 

9 minutes ago, Siddoway said:

Yes, I know that invitation have been extended this week. I know they started inviting students after the first week. They haven’t invited anyone from my DD level VIII. The girls are all wondering if any of them will be invited at this point. I’ve tried to encourage them to keep an open mind, and keep working as hard as they did day one! Which is easier said than done. 

Thank you for the update! Great advice to keep working just as hard & to enjoy the experience. My DD is a level VI and has not heard about any invites, but maybe good news isn’t being shared too much to save feelings :). 

Hello,  I'm new here but need some help from fellow members.  It's my DD first time at SAB.  She's in an upper level this summer.  She only knows of one girl, in her level, to get asked for Winter Term.  She hasn't heard of any girls above her level getting asked.  I know the posts above stated that girls get asked every week, but do you think SAB just isn't taking any older girls this summer?  My daughter is 15 and is in Level VI.  

Does anyone know if the NYCB will be performing the Nutcracker this fall? Wondering if the emerging Delta variant will complicate their plans to perform.

Supposedly it will be showing from Nov. 26th til Jan. 2nd, but of course, everything is subject to change due to the pandemic. NYCB already announced a mandatory vaccination policy for their fall 2021 performances, but I’m not sure if this will also be a requirement for Nutcracker since there is not yet a vaccine available for kids under age 12, yet many SAB students are typically in the show & many families bring their children who are in the under-12 category.

• 2 weeks later...