Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

What would you do?

I know we have discussed preferable studio temperatures here before, but I have a new twist on the question.

I am getting so overheated and sweating so much that I can't keep up with myself by drinking water between barre combinations. I am getting pounding heat headaches before barre is over and have had to leave class early because of it several times.

I have already tried drinking as much as I can stand on the way to class and will continue. I still get the headache, but maybe a bit later. I have never been able to consume enough that I'd need a potty break or anything.

Should I ask the teacher to have the A/C turned on so I can prevent or delay the onset at least?

I know there are others who are comfortable or, in one case, cold in class when I am warm, but is it even appropriate to ask in my case? I know the teacher prefers not to use it but I would like to be able to finish class regularly.

I have always sweat a lot in class and I use a towel and drink, but this new headache thing stinks.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Laschwen

• ripresa

• rshevin

• jimpickles

I'm really sympathetic to this, as I also find it hard to shed heat easily.

How about presenting your problem to the teacher and see if s/he can come up with a solution? I think that's better than suggesting one possible response that can be answered yes or no.

A few suggestions ( I used to live in the tropics, and the studio didn't have air conditioning):

A small spray bottle of water can help with cooling you down via evaporation, and may slow down the sweating.

Adding a small amount of gatorade powder to drinking water helps me ward off headaches (or you can use ready made gatorade and dilute it down).

wembley

Bless your heart! I know how that is - my old studio was that way. Sometimes it was "just right" heat and other times - UGH!

It's like it was a tiny step over and you'd start to have a tingly sweat and then the headache starts, right?

Now my new studio is soooo nice - that it's chilly. I never think twice of saying "Can we up the air so it's a bit warmer?"

Just ask, really!!

I would!!!

Guest pink tights

I realize cross posting isn't allowed, however, I think you should inquire about the headaches over in the Health and Nutrition forum.

You could try those cans of water spray, I guess they're like a spray bottle except that the water always comes out really cold. I use them when I'm on holiday at night.

I've found the spray bottles are only so effective depending on the climate. Generally, if it's already humid and hot (summers in TX), a spray bottle will do next to nothing other than making you more moist than you already are. They really shine if you're in one of those places that gets dry heat. As for the studio, usually a good compromise for everyone is turning on the ceiling fans (or box fans) since they help to cool you off but don't actually produce "cold" AND are much more energy efficient, if cost is your teacher's concern.

My first thought was the same as rshevin’s—this doesn’t sound normal to me. Things that don’t seem normal need to be checked out with a personal visit to a doctor if for no other reason than to make sure there isn't a physiological problem that you don’t know about.

With the approach of summer, it might be good to say something about exercising when it’s hot. When the air temperature is high, we don’t radiate much heat from our bodies, which is our natural cooling system. If it’s also humid, not much water is evaporated from our skin, our second major cooling system. Consequently our heart rates increase, internal body temperature rises and we experience a decrease in performance.

What to do about it? Well, the first thing to realize is that our bodies do make adjustments to things like hot humid weather. It might take a few weeks, but with time, the heat and humidity does bother us less.

In my opinion, the second thing to look at is what we are doing to create that internal body heat. Let’s say it’s ballet class. Again in my opinion, I don’t think ballet class is a very strenuous form of exercise, at least not until the allegro portion of class. Also, in ballet, the idea isn’t to “stress” your muscles as you might do in an exercise program, but rather to use the least amount of effort to accomplish the steps you are asked to do. What this suggests to me is either “trying too hard” in class or simply not being in very good physical condition. Fixing either of those problems if they are the case will definitely help.

Another factor that I’ve noticed over the years is that there are big individual differences in people when it comes to perception about being “too warm.” Some of us can be sweating buckets as they say and think nothing of it. Others complain about the heat before they have begun to sweat. Of course this makes it impossible for ballet teachers. While some are relishing in the heat, others are calling for the A/C. The poor teacher cannot win.

Drinking liquids is usually the big topic when talking about exercise in hot weather. What one needs to understand is that we lose water in exercise faster than we can absorb it from drinking. Thus, the mantra drink before you exercise. Waiting until you are exercising is too late. Personally, I’m not a big fan of toting water bottles to dance class, but if someone feels the need, that’s fine with me. But then I love sweat.

Guest JustMigrating

Laschwen, I don't know how old you are, but the symptoms you write about sound very familiar to one who has experienced them (hot flashes). Just a touch too much warmth when dancing or exercising and wham - major sweating. The headache could be a migraine (can be another menopausal symptom). But if you aren't old enough to be experiencing menopause, like the others have said, you should consider seeing your doctor.

I also agree with Garyect, that some dancers want it cooler and some want it warmer, and unless the majority of the class is complaining about it being too hot, the teacher shouldn't really be asked to turn on or up the AC. Better for dancers to be slightly warm then have their muscles too cooled.

Edited by JustMigrating

Laschwen, are you holding your breath while you're dancing?

Hmmm?

So many good thoughts to respond to here...where to start???

Holding my breath while dancing? I hope not. I'll pay attention today. I did hear a teacher tell another student "Breath, you'll get used to it" in a rather tongue in cheek way.

Yesterday was cooler outside and I sweat as freely as usual, but did not get a headache. I did "force fluids" before class. I don't know the temperature in class. It varies from mid to high 70's this time of year. Sometimes we open windows and that helps. I pretty sure we had many 80 something degree days in that studio last summer.

I have in the past overheated in class and just got kind of fuzzy in the head so it was hard to follow instructions, and got a little queazy once or twice. I had been in the habit of leaving after barre when I wasn't in shape enough to stay or if my feet were acting up, so it wasn't so annoying. I feel the need to stay for the full class now with Adult Dance camp approaching.

My physical condition could mean less tolerance than most others in class, but it has been improving steadily over the last 3 years. I am still a good bit heavier than when I could dance in a 90-95 degree studio in the summer in Louisiana with no trouble. It has also been 25 years since then.

I am normally happy to sweat a lot and just mop up the drips that hit the floor occasionally. It helps if the humidity is low enough to allow the towel to actually dry you a bit. On the headache days I felt like I couldn't get my hands dry after mopping my face.

I am old enough to be starting menopause (and am) and wondered if I would even know it if I had a hot flash in class since I would already be sweating. One nice thing to note: The more frequent the classes, the less frequent the hot flashes outside class.

I am almost due for my annual thyroid check. I could see if I am needing an adjusted dose. I have heard that if one goes too high on that they can get sensitive to heat. Maybe my meds are working too well?

So, I guess it would be bad form to ask for some AC maybe halfway through class in the meantime?

Thanks all. All ideas welcome. I have heard that Gatorade has come out with a less sugary alternative. I will check it out and try some of that before class. I couldn't stomach the regular (even diluted) stuff during class. Blech.

Do check with your doc, and do make sure you are breathing. In through the nose, out through the nose. :)

You need to hydrate yourself well ahead of time, not just right before or during class. My other daughter who plays soccer and in tournaments where there a several games a day in the summer, her coach has them start drinking lots of fluids a full 24 hours before games, maybe if you are dancing every day you should be constantly hydrating yourself and pushing fluids.