Ballet Talk for Dancers
livelaughdance

Ellison Ballet

livelaughdance

Hi! I am attending Ellison Ballet's summer intensive this summer at the end of July. I am also auditioning for the year program while I am there for the summer and was wondering if anyone could give me any information about the year program? Whether you attend the program or know any information would be very much appreciated=)

mom2

hi livelaughdance,

Welcome to Ballet Talk for dancers!

If you look over on our Summer Intensive forum there is an existing thread for the Ellison program.

here is a link to the page it's on:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?...=all&st=100

My daughter attended last year and I went with her to NYC - we both had a great time!! All the best,

m2

livelaughdance

Thank you for the link! I am still getting used to finding threads and other posts that people have already posted.

Guest maudebee

I would like to hear from anyone who has attended the Ellison professional training program year-round, or has a child who has attended.

What is the schedule like?

Is housing a problem, and how was it handled by different individuals?

How did high school students handled getting their academics?

... and anything else that might be of interest!?!

Thanks!

Guest maudebee

So, just trying to bump this up again. I'm hoping someone out there has information on the year-round Professional Training Program??

Housing? Schedule? Class size? Studio? Teacher evaluations? Opportunities? Anything?

Thanks again!

ollieshadow

Ellison Ballet's website has information on a new housing opporunity for year round and summer students. And you can email to ask about housing, Mr. Ellison's assistant will provide you with a list of housing where many students stay.

According to Ellison Ballet's Spring Showcase program write-up, last year Mr. Ellison trained 16 dancers in his professional training program - 7 graduated and going to a variety of places, Tulsa, Houston, and Lexington Ballet.

Since I don't have direct experience as my DD attended Ellison Ballet's SI last summer and not the year round program, I don't know the cost or the schedule of classes for year round. Again, Mr. Ellison's assistant is very helpful and will answer questions you might have. Hope this helps. :blushing:

Guest maudebee

Olllieshadow,

Thank you so much for this information!

I did glean a lot from the web site, and I've been in touch with his assistant; she is very helpful!

So, I'm also looking for additional information from students who have attended, or from parents who have children who have attended. That information seems to be hard to find!!

I'd just like a review of the program, and how others have handled all the ins and outs.

Thanks!!

Vision

Well, my son attended for two years, but I am not sure that I can be of much help to you. He commuted into NYC at age 16 on a daily basis, which was grueling (an hour and a half each way), and finished high school through a charter on-line program that first year. At 17, he lived in an apartment in the city with three other students, which was much easier. He was done with high school at that time, but some of the students in the apartment were continuing with online schooling. I don't remember the schedule of his dance day, but it was a LONG day, especially when he was commuting. Relevant for him, he had a daily men's class, which was, for us, a major draw to the program.

Mr. Ellison worked the students very hard, and they were all motivated and hard-working (but doesn't this describe all of these kids?) He is a perfectionist, and quite knowledgeable. He was very willing to communicate with us as parents. The style was Vagonova. There were many opportunities: some performances in NYC, nutcrackers, and YAGP, etc. depending on the dancer's ability. All students were involved in YAGP, at least at the ensemble level. You can see the dancers' performances on his site, and where they went post-training.

Best of luck to you and your dancer!

mom2

Thanks for posting Vision! I was kind of hoping you would!!

:shrug:

sugarplumfairy_caroline

Is this program very selective? I looked at the pictures on the website and everyone looks so amazing. I'm not considering it for next year but maybe in the future.

Guest maudebee

Vision,

Thank you so much for posting. Even though it was your son, and I have a daughter, it was most helpful. I'm just doing some background research right now, as we don't know if she will be accepted year-round at this point. But the dedication and motivation of these dancers is most attractive to my daughter!

If you don't mind my asking, what is your son doing now?

Thanks!

Vision

Gratefully, he is a professional dancer in a wonderful company.

Guest maudebee

Oh hooray, Vision!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

I have a good feeling about this school, but can't find a lot of first-hand experience stories.

--maudebee

little-duck

Maudebee,

I also have a son in the Ellison Ballet year round program. This will be his second year. He graduated from high school early, so I can't offer much insight into the school options. I think many of the younger dancers did online school. He found his apartment through Facebook! One of his friends from our home town was living in New York and looking for a roommate, so that worked out perfectly last year. This year he has his own studio apartment. The Ellison website describes a new housing option for both summer and year round. It looks nice, but I don't have any first hand experience with that.

The class size is small -- no more than 20. I think there were 16 or 17 dancers last year. My son was pleased that the program was about half men. The classes are extremely challenging and I saw an amazing amount of growth in my son's technique and artistry. He says that Mr. Ellison is by far the most inspirational teacher he has ever had. Last year they did not have a permanent space, so classes were held at several different locations. That seemed to make the schedule a bit more exhausting than it normally would have been, but the dancers seemed to be able to handle it. I think they are hoping to be in a permanent space this year.

There were several opportunities to perform as guest artists. All of the dancers participated in YAGP in the ensemble piece, which placed in the Top 12 in NYC. Several other dancers participated as soloists and in the pas de deux category.

As a parent, I have nothing but positive things to say about Mr. Ellison. He is a perfectionist with technique and his attention to detail shows in his students' performances. They are all quite elegant and beautiful. He is also a very nice person who cares deeply about his students. It is clear that he loves teaching.

Sorry I don't have more info about school and housing. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Vision

Maudebee, thank you, and I wish you all the best in finding the right teachers and program for your daughter. It is so important to find the right fit, and I know that there are many great programs out there!

little duck, it is so wonderful to hear from another mom-of-a-male-dancer-who-has-trained-with-Ellison! I am so glad that he, and you as his parent, have had a great experience there! We so wanted to get into the city to see the concert this year, but had an out of town committment (with our daughter!). Hopefully, we will make it next year, and our DS can come along. I wish your DS the best of luck!