Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

I am new and my girl is 7...

Hi everyone. As said in the title I am new and I am from Turkey. I have a girl who is 7 years old and she has been having ballet classes since 2 years. This year she has entered the state ballet examinations, she passed the first exam but failed in the second. However, the teachers gave her a special option which is "she may continue state ballet courses, just like an official student, take all classes for 3 months and teachers (who rejected her at the exam) may change their opinions after these 3 months seeing more of her performance". or they may not which will disqualify her from the lessons from then on.

My issue is that shall I take the risk or not? it would be very difficult for me to explain my daughter that she will not be eligable any more after she gets used to her new class and teachers. But state ballet is very credible and the best in the job. Even 3 months can do her well. So what think? shall I take the risk or continue with private ballet classes? Thank you for the responses.

knock knock - not a member of this special group but I was wondering if your daughter continued to take private lessons would she be allowed to audition again for the state ballet course at a later age?

knock knock - not a member of this special group but I was wondering if your daughter continued to take private lessons would she be allowed to audition again for the state ballet course at a later age?

Hi again. Because of time difference between US and Turkey, I could not reply earlier :-) The answer is yes, she can continue taking private lessons and she is eligable to enter exams until she is 10 years old. However, they seem to prefer the younger ages which are 7-10.

How can any school disqualify at age 7?

The system is that state entrance exams are open for students between 7-10 years old. If one is rejected at any age, he/she can continue until she/he is 10. They check for flexibility, prediction for body growth, music talent etc at this age they are not specifically looking after any ballet background.

Hello Bada!

Were you given any reason/s why she "failed" the second exam? How did she do at flexibility, prediction for body growth, music talent?

unfortunately no. We were only told that there were 400 applicants and they had to select 10 out of them and they did their best to select the most fit. However, as said, my daughter was given a special offer to have training with them for 3 months. I wish I knew where she could be better as well.

Do you perhaps mean "audition" rather than "examination"? Please do not take this as a criticism - your English is very good, but I wondered whether you meant she had passed the first stage of selection and it was in the second stage, the final, that she did not get accepted.

If this is the case, my advice would be to accept the offer and be perfectly honest with your daughter. If there were 400 candidates for 10 places it means there were 39 refusals for each acceptance. Even a seven year old can understand those figures. You could help her feel honoured that she has been given this chance, and that if it doesn't work out this time, she can try again next year.

As Ninette de Valois helped set up the Turkish school, I imagine it has similarities to the Royal Ballet School in organisation. Certainly in London, there are many cases where children who don't get in at first are accepted in later years.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. You may be right that kids usually accept the hardest better than adults and adapt to that.

And yes I think audition is a better word ;-)