Ballet Talk for Dancers

Middle Splits and Turnout.

constanzameneses

Hi! I'm new here :) I've had this question going on through my head for quite a while and I thought this whould be a great place to learn it's answer:

Is a 180 degree turnout necessary to achieve middle splits? (AND/OR Do middle splits help with turnout?)

I thought not, but now I'm not so sure. I definately don't have 180 degree turnout (according to my frog stretch, haha), but middle splits are almost impossible for me, and although I've been practicing them for months against the wall with great results at first, now I'm just stuck, and I'm still not touching the wall. Is this my skeletal (turnout) limitation? Or does this only mean I should continue patiently stetching?

I hope I make sense, and don't sound as silly as I think I sound :wink:

Thanks!

Connie.

• Administrators

Hello Connie, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :wink:

Working on your middle splits, when very warmed up of course, will help your rotation. It does take a long time, though. The initial improvement is not unusual, but then the progress will slow down a bit. Don't give up! It's not important to be able to do them perfectly, but it is important to work on them to help your rotation. :)

• 3 months later...

My turnout is okay but I am nowhere near the middle splits. I've been working on it for a while, and it's only gotten a little better. I've noticed that some people can just naturally get pretty close to their middle splits, but it doesn't always mean that they have good turnout. Why is that?

• Administrators

Because there is a lot more involved in rotation when in a gravity-defying position. :shrug:

• Administrators

Because the middle split requires more than just turnout. :wink:

Hey, I have the same problem. I have decent turn out, but I want to improve! Basically everyone at my studio has their middle splits down. A while ago though, my friend didn't have her middle splits down and she worked on them everyday when she was warmed up, and eventually, in like 8 weeks they were down! Now, I am working on them everyday! Ha. :blushing:

it's interesting, i have the exact opposite problem. i have my middle splits all the way, but my turnout leaves much to be desired. i mean, it's decent, but nothing terribly impressive. i guess that just goes to show how involved turnout really is and how much i need to work different factors of rotation.

:blink:

Thought about this myself, since I have above-average turn out, but horrific middle splits. As I understand it, turn out is the individual rotation of the individual leg around it's central axis whereas the middle split is the increasing of the degree between both legs (on the lateral plane, as opposed to the front/back splits). So when you externally rotate (turnout), you're contracting using the piriformis (among others) while the middle split is an actual stretching of the upper leg muscles

• Administrators

Therefore they require, as stated above, more than just rotation. Flexibility is certainly involved, and certainly inner thigh and hamstrings. If you have above average rotation, then don't worry about it, because it is standing up turned out that matters! :)

• 3 months later...

I have a question regarding middle splits...

Are some peoples' hip joints just not made to do the middle splits? Whenever I try and stretch and work on my middle splits, I get a pain in my right hip joint--and I'm not talking about a "good" stretching-type pain. It could be related to my previous hip issues (chronic tendinitis), but that was in both hips, and it hasn't been a problem in months.

I really want to work on my middle splits, but the pain I get feels wrong/not natural/not a good kind of pain, and I feel like I shouldn't. Suggestions? If I just grin and bear it and stretch, will I eventually gain more flexibility and the pain will leave, or is this something that I should be really careful with?

(BTW, if this is in the wrong place, please move it... I'm still getting the feel for this board. :] )

• Administrators

Claeri, pain is an indication that something is wrong, or that something just can't be pushed that far. I would suggest holding back on pushing that stretch. If you want to do it, do it very gently, starting in a comfortable position and then trying to open just a tiny bit more. STOP when it hurts!

• 1 year later...