Ballet Talk for Dancers

fall clothes shopping

lorrainegd

Guest pink tights

Delia's changed our life too :innocent: ....DD wears either 00 or 0 (depending on the cut) as she is all leg and TALL! It's so nice to have pants that are long enough...and their styles are fairly age appropriate and some stuff even complies with our dress code. We also find great dresses, sweaters, and tops there. They always have those great deals and they have those "punch" cards ($20 for every 100 you spend or something like that). :P

I can so relate to this thread. I didn't realise quite how skinny my DD was until I recently sewed a tutu for her from an old pattern and her waist was the same as a 4 year old (she is 9!). She was desperate for "city shorts" for starting her new middle school and i couldn't find anything that didn't fall straight off her. Finally settled for some 11 year old trousers and skirt from Marks and Spencers (we are in the UK) that have that fab adjustable waist with the button and elastic. By the time the trousers are pulled up small enough though the back of them is very unflattering but I haven't told her that as I'm of the opinion the boys shouldn't be looking yet anyway!! :angry:

Jogging bottoms have to have massive darts put in the sides and apart from that it's dresses all the way!

I always had a small waist, it was 26" for years as an adult! Buying trousers was a nightmare, they always gaped at the back!

Where abouts in the UK are you for your dd to be going to middle school??

We even have a problem with dresses as dd is ALL legs (we just discovered dd is 4" shorter than I am and her inseam is 1/2 inch longer!). DD is very modest compared to society's standards and we simply can't find dresses that aren't very short but still meet dd's cute factor. They are all short to begin with and then add in that my 5 foot tall dd needs a child's size 10 for it to fit her and trust me you have one short skirt. Even if SHE was ok, I am sure dad wouldn't let her out of the house! Does anyone have any fixes on this side of things?

Not only has dd benefited from this thread...I stopped in a second hand shop today just to see if they had any 00 (while she was in dance class). No 00, but I looked in my size (I struggle with the short stout factor, just the opposite of dd)...I only tried on ONE pair, but they fit like they were custom made for me!!! I couldn't believe it. A pair of Lucky brand jeans for under $30 - I could NEVER buy them full price no matter how they fit...and I think jeans are better broken in, personally :angry: . I am on cloud nine!!!

Now that we have gotten through the initial excitement of finding clothes that fit for dd, we will definately be cruising the thrift store scene!

Yes, dresses are ridiculously short this year so good luck with that one. My only suggestion is the leggings for under jean skirts and the like. They are cute and functional and provide some much needed modesty!

DD has a red knit dress that is too short and too low cut. She wears a black cami and black short leggings with it and the whole thing looks really cute.

Here's a link for slips to lengthen dresses. http://www.vintagehem.com/

And here is a list of modest clothing websites http://www.jenmagazine.com/modest-clothing...estclothing.asp

Many of these have longer t-shirts. Typical t's only make through one washing and they've shrunk too short.

Lorraine - My dd is 5'1" and also wears childrens' size 10 in skirts. She doesn't mind short - but there is such a thing as too short! Again, we buy the longest of the cute little skirts we can find. :blink:

I have never heard of Delia's, so I guess we don't have them here. :yucky: I'm also glad to have this thread so I can try to find some of these stores mentioned, and have dd try the 00s. As I said, 00 at Aeropostale, and American Eagle are just too big still. We live in a small town, and have seriously limited options for girls clothes. Time to venture out...

DD went directly from 12 slim jeans to 00 - 14 slim never fit properly. I have found American Eagle and Aeropostal fit big (in the smaller sizes at least).

Going slightly off topic: Can anyone suggest supportive shoes that look good with skinny jeans or leggings/mini skirt? DD wore Uggs or ballet flats with them until she developed foot pain and I was told those are the worst footwear choices. Running shoes do not look nice with skinny jeans!

Where abouts in the UK are you for your dd to be going to middle school??

Suffolk, although we are the first lot to start the gradual phasing out so she will only be going there for two or three years before they close it!! :yes: Part of the reason I started looking into ballet scholarships etc although not decided yet.

Can anyone suggest supportive shoes that look good with skinny jeans or leggings/mini skirt? DD wore Uggs or ballet flats with them until she developed foot pain and I was told those are the worst footwear choices. Running shoes do not look nice with skinny jeans!

My DD has a pair of black leather "slouch" style boots that kind of ruffle down (like legwarmers would) which she wears with skinny jeans. Any kind of chunky boots worn with legwarmers/over the knee socks/chunky knit tights etc look cute with mini skirts I think. Can you not get supportive insoles to put inside her shoes?

Can you not get supportive insoles to put inside her shoes?

I was wondering that as well. Do they make insoles that one could slip inside a pair of flats that would provide some decent support? If so, I would consider wearing those cute ballet flats myself! :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Fleet Feet is a great place for athletic shoes: http://www.fleetfeetsports.com/store-locations

I'm not sure if there's a store near you, but it might be worth a bit of a drive. The customer service at our local store is amazing! They measure your feet carefully, and like to look at your current shoes for wear patterns. The best part is their treadmill, where they video your feet/calves as you walk (or run) in your old shoes, and their proposed shoes. Because they can see if you pronate or suplinate, they can suggest inserts or shoes for correction. They sell many brands at Fleet Feet.

As for clothes, my daughter seems to wear dance clothes so often that I have given up on buying a lot of the regular stuff. We seem to do best in thrift stores and in the mall shops that carry size 0 or 00.

Guest tokyorose
That sounds good! Wish they did that here! The closest we get is the 'petite' range for shorter people and 'longer length' for tall people. That's just in adult clothes though.

CDR My daughters both have this problem, you can get these sizes in GAP and Next have also introduced them this year for some of their jeans.

I have also found H & M's sizes to be more petite than average, not perfect but eldest daughter won't wear jeans with elastic any more, understandably.

We have middle school here in Staffs too!

:(