Ballet Talk for Dancers

Tights - What style

DavisW

Ginnia, you'll find that most ballet tights are quite durable and don't rip easily if well cared for anyway! Don't dryer them, hand wash, and they should last you pretty long. They can discolor though. I've never seen cable knit ballet tights.. it seems like a sweater/wooly knit would be much too hot for class! You could get cable knit legwarmers & take em off when you get hot though!

Ginnia, you'll find that most ballet tights are quite durable and don't rip easily if well cared for anyway! Don't dryer them, hand wash, and they should last you pretty long. They can discolor though. I've never seen cable knit ballet tights.. it seems like a sweater/wooly knit would be much too hot for class! You could get cable knit legwarmers & take em off when you get hot though!

Well, I have had some Body Wrappers tights for the last three years but they are just covered in rips. I have to admit that I do machine wash them, but I line dry them.

And yes, cable knit tights are a warmup, which is not what I'm looking for lol. I dunno why but I thought in case anybody suggested it, that it's not the kind of "thick" I'm going for.

I got this pair of black footless tights at the thrift store, they sell several brand new packages of the same kind, and I feel like it's a really thin fleece or something.

These tights are very durable and I would love some in pink but I have no idea what brand they are, as there are no tags on them.

Hi Ginniathezinnia, I remembered reading this on the board a little while ago and so went looking for Mazenderan's post....

"UK girls walking to class in cold weather - Primark's Cosy Tights. They have a layer of fleece inside and are awesome!! Your legs will not be stiff and cold in class. My jeans got soaked in the snow, and my legs were not cold or wet because I had these on underneath. "

Maybe you could try looking for those, I know that I would love, love, LOVE some like that unfortunately (or fortunately?) I dont live in the UK.

How do you keep tights from ripping? I have them a week, and they're full of runs and holes. Maybe I'm just rough on them, lol! I've finally given up and decided it's really not a big deal (and have been wearing them that way all semester b/c I know the same thing will happen to a new pair), but it would be good to know how to avoid this!

Must surely be the brand/thickness?

I've never, ever has a hole or run in a pair of ballet tights. My experience is not wide though - probably 7 or eight years wearing seamed fully fitted Freed tights 30 odd years ago (I only remember having new ones every couple of years) and about nine months of wearing seamless Capezio and Freed convertibles. Didn't like the Capezio as they were not very stretchy and went grey after literally a couple of washes. The Freed ones are lovely and comfortable but have also gone grey after about six months. No holes though!

I've had Capezio tights and not only are they uncomfortable (not stretchy) they got holes in the toes and in the crotch pretty quickly. But since they are so thick I was able to sew them. The Sansha tights I got are holding up pretty well with no holes. They are made out of micro-fiber. I really liked the Mandor tights I got--they were so soft and stretchy, but they are thin and started getting holes in the crotch the first week. Like someone else said I've just given up on tights not getting holes. The only ones that I have that have not, are LEGGS tights! I originally bought them for every day (non-dance) wear and have a pair from several years ago that I started wearing for dance and just bought another. They are not even dance tights but they last the longest. They are also micro-fiber so I think that the micro-fiber is less prone to runs and holes than the other material.