Ballet Talk for Dancers
Our Thanks and Gratitude to Everyone Who Has Contributed to Our 2020 Fundraiser <3 <3 <3
Sign in to follow this  
Alexandra

Welcome posts and replies 2003-2018

Alexandra

New members will see, and agree to, the following Rules when they register. These come with the software package, but are so simple I thought them worth posting. I'd ask members who registered at the old board to take a moment and read them too, rather like renewing one's wedding vows :(

Ballet Talk Rules:

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please press the Agree button at the end of the page. Note: By pressing the button you declare that you are over the age of 13.  

Although the administrators and moderators of Ballet Talk will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Ballet Talk or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Ballet Talk have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

And our own very important amendment:

I would only add that the purpose of this forum is for the discussion of ballet -- classical and neoclassical ballet, its past, present and future. All topics that are not in furtherance of this goal will also be deleted at the discretion of the moderators.

Alexandra

A few links to articles on the main site that may help explain what we're about:

The first editorial in Ballet Alert! (the newsletter) from 1998:

What is Ballet Alert! and Why Are We Doing This?

A very incomplete list, with brief bios, of the people involved in getting this site going, as well as the writers who regularly contribute to DanceView and Ballet Alert! (the newsletter):

Who Are We?

And a page of Links to some sample articles and interviews from Ballet Alert! (the newsletter):

Ballet Alert! Sampler

Alexandra

Notice:

The Teen Forums are restricted to those within the age group specified and the Moderators. Posts by other adults in these forums, no matter how well-intentioned, will be deleted.

Willow Lama

Dear Dancers!

I am so excited to have found Ballet Talk for Dancers, for a special reason. You see I live over the rainbow in Kathmandu Nepal! My name is Willow Lama and I have started Kathmandu's first Ballet school - we are in our third year. I started teaching after a long break in dancing, because I saw so many ex-patriate children from the international community here who were missing out on what I feel to be such special opportunity for growth and development. Also I thought it would be great if a generation of Nepalese could learn Ballet and start their own ballet theatre, like in other Asian countries where it has been so successful.

Kathmandu ballet school has been slowly growing...I have about 25 students and teach three levels now, three days a week now. But there is no one here to talk with about Ballet - since I am the teacher I am the one who answers the questions....but when I have questions - who do I ask?

I'd love to talk with some know-it-alls :) or just plain enthusiasts, who love to share info for questions regarding everything from subtle definitions of jumps, to class routines and business management. I am also happy to share any info I can.

So anyone want to talk shop?

Dance on Light! When you dance you can fly!

Willow Lama

Victoria Leigh

Hello Willow, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :shrug: It is wonderful to have a teacher from Nepal, and I do believe you may be our first member from that country, although not sure, as we have over 9000 members world wide! I certainly don't remember anyone saying they are from Kathmandu, before.

Your desire to talk shop will be most welcome on the Teachers forum, and we have a number of excellent and very experienced teachers there. :)

Willow Lama

Ok great! I will check it out!

Thanks Victoria!

Willow

b1

Hello Willow! Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! I have been to Kathmandu 4 times! Absolutely loved it there. How cool that you have opened a school there. I would have loved to have visited on my travels. I am sure you have an interesting story of how you ended up "on the top of the world". :D

This is a great place to talk shop. Lots of friendly advice. Welcome!

b1

Willow Lama

Hello b1!

yes I wish you had come to our school also and I hope that any dancers who travel will come visit us - we need the support and inspiration of other dancers! It is great to hear that you were in Nepal 4 times. I first came here as a music student and wound up getting married to a Sherpa Tamang fellow. Ten years later...

I am so happy to have found Ballet talk. I just read the whole discussion about turnout...exactly the type of discussion I have been looking for. Reassuring to know I am doing things right, happy to learn new tricks and things to avoid. Thank you Ballet Talk for Dancers!

Willow

Doubleturn

Hello and welcome, Willow. I started my own school in UK 16 years ago and will be more than happy to post on the topics you raise. The beginning was a learning curve, but I have a lovely group of pupils, some just for fun, some hoping to make ballet their life.

tangerinetwist

Hello, Willow,

And welcome! Wow- I will admit that my only real knowledge of Kathmandu came from waching the Today Show several years ago when they were doing the "Where in the World is Matt Lauer?" feature. However, all Asian culture is fascinating to me. I would love to know how ballet has been embraced by the Buddist and Hindu society? Do your students also study the ethnic dances of the region?

I am so out of the loop with world happenings these days. I have two little girls and am home during the day doing the mommy thing and teach 10 hours a week. The internet is my gateway to the outside world. I miss even having time to watch television shows about interesting places though occassionally will find something at 10pm on a Saturday night. How exciting to live outside the Western civilization and open up new territories for young people.

Momof3darlings

Welcome Willow! We hope you will enjoy looking around the site at our many threads on various ballet related topics. Threre is no "one stop shop thread" where we discuss things, but rather add to old or start new threads on one topic and get responses, wisdom, etc. from those.

We look forward to your becoming a vital member of our boards here.

AmaLari

Hello Willow! :D

I have a few questions for you about your school. We aren't living in your neck of the woods at the moment, but my DD would be interested in taking classes during our regular trips to Kathmandu to visit family, if that is a possibility. Do you have an e-mail address, since you are not yet able to receive/send private messages?

vrsfanatic

Welcome Willow Lama! It sounds like you are leading a very different and exciting life then many in our BT4D community. It will be lovely hear about teaching ballet in Nepal. If I am ever fortunate enough to get to Nepal, I look forward to visiting you school. :innocent:

AmaLari, I will leave your message for the time being until Major Johnson or Ms Leigh are available. However, please recognize that this is the Teacher's Forum where only registered teachers are able to post. Hopefully an Administrator will be able to help you exchange the information you are seeking if that is amicable with Willow Lama.

Mel Johnson

As this is really a welcome forum-style post, why don't I merge it with the other Introducing thread? Teachers forum is especially for individual technical questions and anecdotes.

AmaLari

I apologise for writing in the wrong forum. I didn't check to see which forum this thread was in prior to posting my message. :innocent: