Ballet Talk for Dancers

If I could turn back time...

Reebs511

Two salient points here:

1. Dance is not just physical - it is mental too.

2. You will find your physical and mental balance changes with time and experience.

Basically, while ballet is not something you can do professionally forever, it is an ageless artform. Having physical ability just does not do - you also have to have the correct mental attitude and training to go with it.

What you are really saying here is that you have recognized physical attributes for ballet, and a strong motivation to refine them.

Seems to me that this combination qualifies you to perform at a high level - regardless of age.

Turning back the clock is not the issue - turnout and balance are.

Turn out for the lessons.

Get balance in your life.

Then - just dance, and put other considerations aside.

My point of view - but then I am a perennial optimist with a high regard for the potential of personal achievement we have in all of us.

Aren't you?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Reebs511

• Serendipity

• Esprit de Ballerine

• Hamorah

Turning back the clock is not the issue - turnout and balance are.

Turn out for the lessons.

Get balance in your life.

Then - just dance, and put other considerations aside.

Well put, Robert! Thanks for stating this so eloquently. I'm not as much of an optimist as you are, but I'll keep working on it. :sweating:

• 2 months later...

I am in a similar situation!! I danced for years when I was younger, showed talent, had great training and a real future. I danced in France & my teachers wanted to send me to Paris to pursue it!! Then we moved here :thumbsup: Glad to be here but it stopped my training and now 11 years later, at 26, I have missed it every day of my life. I ache for it. I live in South Florida and CANNOT find a school that will take adults and TRAIN them like they do their youngsters. If you're older than 19 they don't care about you.

The open classes I found aren't serious at all & I need a REAL class.

I won't ever be a prima ballerina & that' s ok; I'll be perfectly happy just taking technical classes & getting to dance, becoming the best dancer I can be. And if I get to dance for ANY program, it will be a dream realized.

So WHERE do you live & where is this school you speak of??!!

Chances are you don't live where I do, so could you do me a HUGE favor and give me the phone number to your school?

I could possibly ask THEM if they know of anything in my area.

I can't be personally contacted yet (new to the site) but you can reply to my reply.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Where in Florida are you? I know you don't have PM privileges yet, but I live in Florida and know a few studios that allow adults - some have specific classes and some allow adults to take any levels with teens. One year, I took class with 8-9 year olds because that was all that was on offer, at the time, but it was well worth it to be with the teacher I was with.

If your location stopped the training of a 15-year-old, then it would seem to be unlikely that you can get training at 26. Sounds to me like simple general lack of quality ballet training is the problem here.

Oh really? I live in Boca Raton, FL, where do you live?

I tried the open adult classes at Boca Ballet, but it was more of a recreational class, not a training class by any means.

I got excited about the Harid Conservatory & then realized they only took younger girls... and because of the huge break I took I wouldn't be ready to audition for any big place, like Miami City Ballet or anything like that.

Do you know of anywhere? Where do you go?

Thanks for answering me, I'm very excited that you are in Florida & might know of a place for me! :D

Where in Florida are you? I know you don't have PM privileges yet, but I live in Florida and know a few studios that allow adults - some have specific classes and some allow adults to take any levels with teens. One year, I took class with 8-9 year olds because that was all that was on offer, at the time, but it was well worth it to be with the teacher I was with.

No, no, I moved to the country when I was 15. We didn't speak the language, didn't know where to go & didn't have the money... so I never started ballet again. What I meant was that the MOVE stopped my training. Now I'm too old to even be ENROLLED anywhere. I could still go far. I'd never reach professional level I'm sure, so I don't lie to myself about that, but I would be so happy if I could find a school that could offer me a challenging, technical class.

Do you know of anything?

If your location stopped the training of a 15-year-old, then it would seem to be unlikely that you can get training at 26. Sounds to me like simple general lack of quality ballet training is the problem here.

Give me a few days to do a search. I went to the Boca class, as well but it's very far away from where I am (I'm in the southern part of the tri-county area), so I only went once. I loved it, though. I found it very therapeutic. If you go regularly, and talk to the teacher, I'm sure she'll help you out more.

There are very good schools around in the Coral Springs area, which is fairly close to Boca, and they usually have adult classes.

Wow, yes thanks I really appreciate it, whatever you can tell me would be great.

Meanwhile I'll look around Coral Springs as well & see if I can find anything, I hope so!

I can't believe you live in S. FL too, that's great :clapping:

Edited by Redbookish
Removal of unnecessary quoting of previous post.

Esprit, I'm planning to go to the Boca school during our Spring Break (no other classes around here) - the morning classes, that is. We're off the week that Boca's back. :yes:

I'm afraid there isn't much for adults in Coral Springs. There's a good school in Pompano that allows adults, but I'm not sure about how far you want to travel.

Thanks REEBS!

SERENDIPITY - I'd travel up to an hour for it I think. More than that a few times a week would start to really get expensive gas-wise. Pompano would probably take me 1/2 hour, because it takes about 15 minutes on the highway to get to the Pompano area, and then add another 15-20 to reach the school, depending on where it is. That may actually be the same school I was told about by somebody else! I can't think of the name right now, but it's in Pompano as well, and how many can there be really. It's off Commercial Blvd.

I wonder whether CPYB (it's in Carlisle, Pa, if you can stand living in a small town) would take you; I'm not sure if there is an age limit. Maybe you could write to Marcia Dale Weary including your history and see if she will let you train there...

I just realized this is a very old thread...sorry...

Edited by Redbookish

MCRM - Oh it's okay, I keep checking it just in case. I've been told of a few in my area I have to check out. I can't move immediately anyway, but once I do I will check out the school you said, because PA is one of the states we are considering. Thanks!!