Ballet Talk for Dancers

Documentaries: Ballerina

Guest extensionprincess

Surprisingly not showing in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca or West Palm Beach. Guess I will have to wait to see if it comes out on DVD.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
balletndance

I saw the film "ballerina" in cleveland. I liked it a lot! The dancers were all so amazing! But, it only showed the stars or rising stars. No normal company people were highlighted. Still I'd give this movie two thumbs up. :thumbsup::)

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a review in a recent issue of the LA Times:

Those passionate about ballet will need no encouragement to experience the new documentary "Ballerina," and those who don't care will be tempted to change their minds should they see it. As the lyric from "A Chorus Line" insists, "everyone is beautiful at the ballet," and this film is dedicated to proving that point...

Right now it's only showing in a Los Angeles theater, but I'm hoping it'll make its way down to the art cinema theaters in my area, and other areas!

Here's the rest of the review: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et...0,5176333.story

• 3 weeks later...

i just looked this up and found that the dvd is available for pre-order through amazon.com and will be released july 21st, 2009. :angry:

Oh - thanks! Don't forget to use the search in the Banner above when ordering!!!

Thank you, dancepig!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

You're quite welcome Clara! I see where the film is available on NetFlix in July, 2009 - next month - yea!!! :innocent:

• 1 month later...

My movie arrived - and I just watched it - Bravo! :angry: The movie shows a short (very short) amount of first year and last year at the St. Petersburg school of Vaganova Ballet. Then it moves through the lives of five different dancers. Alina Somova, Diana Vishnieva, Evgenia Obraztsova, Ulyana Lopatkina and Svetlana Zakharova (might be easy for you to say). It does focus on dancers that are soloists, showing the trials and tribulations they have. It has fabulous dance scenes, wonderful Russian scenery footage and very insightful behind the scenes information. The movie is 77 minutes long. Very good cinematography. I loved it. The only problem is there is not a lot of special features!

appleblossom
Wow, for once we are ahead of the USA down here in Australia! This documentary was shown on public television here about two months ago!

Basically they interviewed ballerinas at different stages of their careers- just got into the company, first year, rising star, getting back into dancing after an extended break etc. They seemed to focus most on Evgenia Obraztsova, possibly because she went from a young dancer to rising star relatively quickly.

As far as dancing goes, they showed quite a lot of classroom work, with only small snippets of performances.

Some girls at class yesterday had it on DVD. So it must be out somewhere.

It's available from NetFlix, or you can purchase it from Amazon (use search box above please), or you might try renting it from your local video rental place. I think it's worth a purchase if you can afford it because I've already viewed it three times. It is something that I think I'll go back to just for the pleasure of watching exceptional technique.

• 3 weeks later...

I got this from Netflix and enjoyed it but I noticed these dancers go way over in their pointe shoes and they seem to curl their toes at the barre. Anyone else see that?

Fauxpas, one of my least favourite scenes is the one showing Alina Somova doing a lovely battement tendu combination at the barre in technique shoes and pressing over onto her knuckles on every single battement! I hope that doesn't start an epidemic. I've had to try to get students to stop doing that before, and it was just about impossible.

Archived